lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
tommy-g
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2004 EzGo PDS - Now what...

Checked back in 2 hours, charger was off.

I unplugged for a few mins, and then plugged it back in. Charger kicked on again.

Going to let it run a couple hours and wait til tonight and see what the voltage is...
tommy-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #12
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-g View Post
Checked back in 2 hours, charger was off.
Not a good sign. If you assume the batteries can take and give a charge, if they were discharged, would take 12 to 24 hours to recharge. A dead battery that cycles through a full charge cycle in a couple of hours is telling you it did not take a charge, and the battery gave a False signal to the charger.

I do not know what manufacture and model charger you have but my educated guess is a newer model with a 2 or 3 Stage charging algorithm. 2 hours is my clue because that is default ABSORB time in most newer model golf cart chargers. So what I think you are experiencing is within minutes after starting a Charge Cycle you battery voltage jumps up to the Bulk/Absorb set point, and then starts the timed Absorb phase then shuts of fooled into thinking the battery is fully charged.

Rather than waiting you can get an idea of what is going on not with voltage, but current. If you see low current, you know the Charger is in a Constant Voltage Absorb phase and current is tapered down to almost nothing, which means no charging or a full battery.

So after a charge cycle, if your batteries will not carry a load, time to get new batteries.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #13
sunking
Gone Wild

Before you run out and buy batteries, you have nothing to loose trying to revive them. Chances are it will not work, and if it does only buys you a small amount of time with sluggish performance and not a lot of capacity. Better than a stick in the eye, but not by much.

First make sure water level is above the plates. Not necessary to fill them up, but at least make sure the plates are covered. If not what I am about to instruct you to do would most certainly finish off the batteries.

If your charger has an Equalize setting, use it at the highest voltage setting. If no EQ use as high of a voltage as you can. Run several cycles, testing loaded after each cycle. If after 5 tries and no desirable results; call the Undertaker, they are dead.

You need to be handy while doing this to monitor things because it does come with some risk. You need to be able to monitor hourly. Stop and terminate charging if any battery goes to 120 degrees or you smell rotten eggs. If by some chance say after the 2nd or 3rd cycle you get positive results, unplug and let the batteries rest a bit, top off with water if necessary, then run one normal charge cycle and see what you get. Hopefully at least once or twice around the block.

Here is what you want to see. At some point during a charge cycle, you see the charge current go up to normal levels of 15 to 18 amps or whatever amperage your charger is. If all you see is an amp or two during the charrge cycles means they are not taking a charge By raising the charge voltage you might be able to dissolve enough hardened lead sulfate crystals back into solution off the plates lowering resistance and allows charge current to flow again.

It will do one of two things. Kill or Revive them. Sort of like CPR, you got nothing to loose trying.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #14
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You will have to babysit for this one, but if the batteries never reach the area of 45v at the end of the charge, they aren't ever getting to full charge before charger shutdown. Even a bad set of batteries should still be getting to 43v during charge. I have never seen a properly functioning charger shut down below 42v on a 36v pack, even with horrible batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #15
tommy-g
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the ideas..

been charging 24 hrs ...unplugged charger.. pack is 38.1. Willl check again in the morning.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:36 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I mean babysitting while the charger is running. Not after it has shut down, or after you already unplugged it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #17
tommy-g
Not Yet Wild

Sunking, if these batteries wont keep a charge or its going to be sluggish, I will just get new ones. We camp all through the month of october and use the cart quite a bit during this time. So, it would just make me crazy if I am working on batteries that just are not going to work.

cgtech, Oops, didn't mean to imply I was doing your steps :) Just working on getting a full charge. I will have to recharge when I get home and have time to watch it a bit. Should those higher readings be at the beginning of the charge? I dont recall the voltage being that high when I plugged in the charger...

For reference
As of this morning, pack read 38.1 on the dash meter, so that is after sitting for 12 hours after charge. Will check again when I get home, which should be right at 24 hours or so. I am thinking it will be 38.0 or so right?

If its 38, I guess, I would plug in the charger again and see what voltage is being pushed to the batteries?

Question: With the specs below, how long should I be able to run my cart on gravel roads, some light trails, a few hills?

20 amp hour rate:215
5 amp hour rate:157
6 amp hour rate:156
Battery Electrolyte Composition:Acid
Battery End Type:Top Post
Battery Purpose:Deep Cycle
BCI Group Size:GC2
Contents:ONE EACH
Freight Class:65
Minutes at 25 amps:395
Minutes at 75 amps:105
Terminal Type:DIN
Volts:6

Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Can you leave your cart at the campground?

In any event, you will want a charger that will "float", not trickle.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #19
tommy-g
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Can you leave your cart at the campground?

In any event, you will want a charger that will "float", not trickle.

No idea what this is...

I have the big black powerwise thing that I replaced the control board in last year after it wouldn't charge.

I have a 12v/6v battery charger I can use, no idea if its trickle or float. Its a typical car battery charger. I can set it for deepcell, 6v but its manual.. Not autoshut off.

I would have to take picture of front of it for more info than that.

I could set it up to push each battery into overcharge a bit, but kinda feel like I am working against the wind here...
Old 09-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #20
tommy-g
Not Yet Wild

Went out at 38.6
29.6 up small hill
37.1 after small hill and wait a minute
28.4 up bigger hill
37.5 sitting on top of hill for 4 mins

Did another “lap”, barely made it up bigger hill, parked in garage, sat for 5 mins, pack reads 37.5

6.25 - 6.23 - 6.21 - 6.37 - 6.26 - 6.25

So that’s prob less than half a mile.

Am I ready for new batteries?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO