lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2022, 12:28 PM   #21
chelmuth
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Lithium Golf Cart Fire

Here's a screen shot of the charger that I was using.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (449.3 KB, 0 views)
chelmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Their opening ad line is kind of ironic
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:49 PM   #23
1sharphook

That charger far exceeds the maximum recommended charging voltage of your batteries.

Charger rating
INPUT 100-240 volts, 50/60HZ. OUTPUT: 57.6 volts, 15.0 amps

Your NMC battery spec is below.

It is still not clear if your batteries actually had over voltage protection on the BMS. I see they are selling GEN 2 batteries now.

Reputable battery manufacturers publish the actual voltage that shuts down the batteries. Nowhere can I find that number for your batteries.

Did your batteries have this warning sticker?

How about your original charger?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-05-24 143839.jpg (50.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-05-24 144639.jpg (74.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-05-24 144749.jpg (48.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-24-2022, 01:53 PM   #24
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That charger was totally wrong for your batteries - but I'm still concerned that the BMS did not do it's job and terminate charging before any cells were overcharged!!!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:15 PM   #25
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
The fire described here was caused by a BMS failure. Even if the charge voltage was too high, the BMS should have intervened and stopped charging

Here's another thought on the BMS not doing its job. When the BMS detects that the battery max voltage has been exceeded it will shut down until the battery drops below a certain level. Which is pretty quick. The delay before it is able to start again is 2 seconds. So the BMS will continuously be cycling on and off every 2 seconds. Maybe after a few hours of this something finally gives out. Perhaps a longer time delay between the time it shuts off and is able to restart again may have avoided this problem.
Just to be clear I'm talking about Chinese BMS's like Daly and JBD. Not some $500 BMS.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:18 PM   #26
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
It is still not clear if your batteries actually had over voltage protection on the BMS.
Over (and under) voltage protection are basic functions of the BMS and every one should have it. There is no excuse for a BMS to not have this protection.

As Volt_Ampare said, that is definitely the wrong charger, but the BMS should have prevented over charging and hence the fire.

This highlights another problem with the mis-information when it comes to lithium. Many end users think that all lithium batteries are the same, and the only spec they need to worry about is the capacity (Ah rating) and that all 48v chargers are the same, except for current output and quality. The Big Battery BDGR battery cannot be charged with off the shelf “standard 48v” lithium chargers, which put out around 58v. They need a special, non standard 50.4v maximum charger.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:29 PM   #27
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post

Here's another thought on the BMS not doing its job. When the BMS detects that the battery max voltage has been exceeded it will shut down until the battery drops below a certain level. Which is pretty quick. The delay before it is able to start again is 2 seconds. So the BMS will continuously be cycling on and off every 2 seconds. Maybe after a few hours of this something finally gives out. Perhaps a longer time delay between the time it shuts off and is able to restart again may have avoided this problem. 30 minutes if possible.

Just to be clear I'm talking about Chinese BMS's like Daly and JBD. Not some $500 BMS .
Hi Walter,

I thought about this scenario but electronics can handle cycling every 2 seconds. If there were a relay doing the switching then the contacts may have welded themselves together, but not electronics. They can fail to a short but it’s normally caused by exceeding current limits, not switching.

There should also be a deadband in the BMS, I know my “cheap Chinese JBD” has this function. This enables setting the trip voltage at say 4.2v per cell and the trip release voltage at say 4.15v per cell. That would stop the cycling you mention.

The $500 BMS you mention would not be any better than the Chinese ones, where do you think it comes from? A BMS is only as good as the settings programmed into it and what we have here may be a case where incorrect parameters have been programmed.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:17 PM   #28
1sharphook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
The fire described here was caused by a BMS failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Over (and under) voltage protection are basic functions of the BMS and every one should have it.
I'll wait patiently for your evidence his batteries actually had over voltage protection.

Any chance you can provide a user manual or specification sheet to support your BMS failure claim?

Can you educate us on the differences between big battery gen 1 and gen 2 batteries?
Old 05-25-2022, 02:04 AM   #29
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
I'll wait patiently for your evidence his batteries actually had over voltage protection.

Any chance you can provide a user manual or specification sheet to support your BMS failure claim?

Can you educate us on the differences between big battery gen 1 and gen 2 batteries?
1. Any Lithium battery that is for sale to the general public or is for use in consumer products should (must) have a BMS that protects the cells. If it does not, then the manufacturer is opening themselves up to very costly lawsuits as their products are unsafe to use. I don't have conclusive proof, but I very much doubt that Big Battery would have released a battery without even the most basic BMS protection. If they did then they have no business manufacturing batteries.

2. I cannot supply a user manual or specification for the BMS used as I have no idea which BMS is being used. At no point did I claim that I did. Without examining the failed BMS, which would now be a pile of ashes, no one can conclusively determine the cause of the BMS failure. My SPECULATION of what caused the BMS failure comes from over 35 years experience in the electronics industry and holding an Electronics Engineering Degree AND from what would be expected from even the most basic BMS being used. I also have extensive knowledge of lithium batteries, their dangers and how to use them safely.

3. No, not conclusively, I don't work for Big Battery. But once again, from my knowledge and experience, I can SPECULATE that the Gen 2 might have different cells, and/or BMS. The changes might be due to a number of reasons such as component availability, continuous improvement, cost saving measures....the list goes on.

Hopefully I've answered your questions to your satisfaction
Old 05-25-2022, 06:34 AM   #30
chelmuth
Not Yet Wild

Yes they had that sticker, I had the gen2 batteries.
Also I’ll be talking with the engineers from BB this afternoon.
chelmuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium battery fire
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car