lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
Cleanupman16
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Adding a radio to a tempo but I’m struggling

Hello, I have a 2019 club car tempo. For Father’s Day my wife and kids bought me a VIP dash, a radio and speakers. I picked up a 30 amp voltage reducer and a fuse box. I am extremely frustrated as I feel this should be a fairy easy thing to do but after 3 days working on it, I have failed.

Here is where I am at with it, please help if possible.

I have a power wire running from the first in series battery to the yellow (or power in) to the voltage reducer. I have the negative from the reducer ran to the negative of the last in series battery. When i test these with my voltage meter i am getting around 50V. The green wire from my voltage reducer is ran to the ignition (the one with no power when the switch is off). When I plug the harness into the reducer I get a spark but when i wire the red for positive (to accessory) I get no power.

This isn’t making any sense to me. One issue I discovered is I have a separate 10am reducer ran to my battery as well. This feeds the head lights and horn that was added by the dealer. Anyway, my lights or horns no longer work and I didn’t do anything to them but I did plug into the ignition wire with the reducer. If the horn and lights are dead could it mean it is keeping the reducer from working properly?

Also know, this is my second reducer. I reordered from amazon because I thought the first one was faulty.
Cleanupman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2022, 06:12 AM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: Adding a radio to a tempo but I’m struggling

what brand of reducer is it? Also, you didnt mention your accessory ground or where you put it. Some reducers have one ground and your accessory ground runs to that also. So youll need to put your accessory ground in the same place as your reducer ground.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:54 PM   #3
Cleanupman16
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It doesn’t really have a name brand. 10LOL.

Universal Golf Cart Voltage Reducer DC Converter 36V or 48V to 12V, 30 Amp 360 Watts with Dual Power Source https://a.co/d/4NVcscy

I’ve got it grounded to the battery.

Question: does the green (ignition) wire have to be ran for the voltage reducer right work?

I’ve got it attached to the right wire but I now feel like my cart has a fuse blown and I wonder if that could be the problem? I plan to change fuses tonight which I believe are by the motor in the back.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:21 AM   #4
MacGyverr
Getting Wild

Most of the precedents and tempos have the wiring for a reducer installed from the factory. The green wire turns your reducer on and off, you could connect it to your battery positive, but your reducer would stay on. Where did you connect the red and blue wire? All the negative connections have to go to the battery negative. You should have two power supply connection on your stereo red is main power blue is constant for stereo memory. Make sure you are in tow mode and are disconnecting battery positive when making connections.
MacGyverr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:02 AM   #5
Scott quail
Gone Wild

The green wire is what turns the reducer on and off. you can run it to the battery and keep it on all the time or to the key switch and it will turn on with the key, but yes, it has to be hooked up. Hook the reducer up and check your output to see if its working.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:36 PM   #6
Cleanupman16
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Unfortunately I have even worse news, my cart isn’t dead. The batteries have juice but nothing is working. I think I may have blown a fuse. Any idea where the fuses are located? I’ve looked everywhere.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:24 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

There should be a 30 amp fuse behind the control box to the rear of the battery pack. A single torx screw holds it in place. Remove the screw and pull the panel toward the batteries. There is just enough room for small hands to reach in to change the fuse. If you have gorilla hands, you may have to remove middle two batteries to allow the panel to come further forward. I am sure you can also access it from underneath the cart behind a plastic cover.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #8
Cleanupman16
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you! I’ll pulled out the motor cover last night hoping it was there but came up empty and I also unscrewed the control box but it was a tight fit, I’ll try that again and remove the center batteries.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:10 PM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

It might be worth putting a voltmeter across the pins in the charging socket to see if you have volts across them. If no reading then the 30 amp fuse is very likely blown. Also, if it is blown the charger will not activate.

You should find the fuse in a black inline fuseholder right by the solenoid.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:32 PM   #10
Cleanupman16
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for your help! Found the 30 amp fuse and 15 amp fuse. They were fine but I changed them anyway. I put everything back together and still nothing. I don’t get a click or anything. Any suggestions?

Also, I added some photos incase anyone needs help locating the fuses in the future.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car