lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default What Lithium Kit To Buy?

I'm needing some new batteries for my 2006 Club Car DS 48V (currently have 4 - 12V lead acid batteries installed) and plan to upgrade to Lithium. I've been really looking at the EcoBattery kit but have no clue as to performance comparisons with other kits, nor where to buy. Thanks for any assistance.
Kookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What Lithium Kit To Buy?

I'll start with a couple of notables.
AH rating is amp hour capacity. This capacity is equivalent to the size of the gas tank. Amp hours are consumed as the motor makes motion.
Maximum amperage discharge. This number is the maximum current you can pull without sending the battery management system into cut off or shut down.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

It depends on your driving characteristics: Short rides, long rides, hills, flatland, number of passengers typically, cart upgrades, tire size, golf course use, etc.

Eco Battery has the 72, 105 and 144 Ah packs. All have their place in these characteristics.

My 72ah gets me 35 to 40 miles, flat road surface, two passengers, upgraded controller and motor. You can use that info to determine your own needs.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #4
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Since we’re doing analogies Continuous current is analogous to the size of your fuel deliver system, pump, lines etc. Maximum current is the amount of headroom your fuel delivery system has, I.e. how “oversized” it is.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:29 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Since we’re doing analogies Continuous current is analogous to the size of your fuel deliver system, pump, lines etc. Maximum current is the amount of headroom your fuel delivery system has, I.e. how “oversized” it is.
And just to add, when dealing with electrical, especially high current electrical, headroom is a good thing.

Since we’re doing analogies

Headroom is like having a car. Let’s say the speed limit is 70 on the freeway. You know you’ll never need to go more than 70 because you’re a good law abiding citizen. You could have a car that can “do 70” but it’s pushing it’s limits. This car is going to wear and break down faster because it’s constantly being pushed as hard as it is capable. Compared to a car that’s capable of doing 140mph. Doing 70 in THAT car it’s not even breaking a sweat. As a result that engine/car/components are going to last a lot longer because it is not being driven as hard as it is “capable”.

While I won’t say there’s no such thing as “too much headroom” everything can be taken to excess… but generally speaking the more headroom you have, the better. So when folks say “buy as many amp-hours as your wallet can withstand” the larger aH packs are not only about range, but *usually* also capable of longer/higher/harder current discharge. So you wouldn’t be pushing them as much
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:11 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

You also need to remember that most Lithium Packs are only capable of putting out 200 amps. Which is adequate I might add. So there isn't much sense in getting 600A Navitas or 500A Alltrax controller.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:49 PM   #7
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Nope, not upgrading anything else, just batteries. Wifey uses it to drive around the neighborhood, short distances. We have two short steep hills, but nothing that's gonna deplete the power source quickly.
Kookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:53 PM   #8
expoman55
Getting Wild
Club Car

I did 3 Allied 48v in parallel, replaced and upgraded all of my battery interconnect cables,
put my eric charger on shelf and purchased smart lithium charger and added new SOC meter on dash. Oh and bypassed the OBC. Honestly couldnt be happier. PS: I bought an empty Allied battery box and put a 12v lith in there for my accessories other than lights which run off a 48->12v converter. 12v battery and accessories other than lights all run off the separate battery. Cleaned up the battery tray and underseat. PS: Bought my kit from Don Ploughman at Ploughmans carts.. Super guy. A plethora of knowledge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1409.jpg (131.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1560.jpg (167.1 KB, 0 views)
expoman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:52 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’ve also got 3 of the allied 48v batteries @90aH in my club car DS. Coincidentally also bought from plowmans. Not only because he’s got the best prices on the allieds, but also because he’s 15 minutes from me

My cart has stock motor, controller, etc. only upgrade is a speed magnet (and the batteries of course). I’m getting ~50 miles range on a charge and it runs around 24-25mph all day long. I couldn’t be happier with the results.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:02 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Scotty, Pat and CP: You guys are way over my head.

And I don't have a lot of headroom there!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car