lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2022, 08:10 PM   #1
iakona
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Caroche Stuff

greetings all.

i've got a late 70s/early 80s Caroche three pedal cart i've been working on. anyways, giving back again.

this post is for the steering wheel hub. it is a 40 spline .700" shaft. The EZGO hubs work. the DS and IQ and Precedent hubs do NOT work.

here's the one i used:
EZGO Steering Wheel Adapter Golf Cart Steering Wheel Adapter Hub For EZGO TXT & RXV Marathon Golf Cart

and the center nut is 5/8-18. i bought a nice oversized flange serrated back one from McMaster to secure the hub.

still working on trying to figure out how to wire the horn to the hub through the OEM shaft...

you're welcome! i will add more jewels for cross reference as i come across them. already did the brakes, find that one under someone else's caroche thread.
iakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2022, 10:04 PM   #2
iakona
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car Caroche Stuff

placeholder for motor info, once probation is up...
Old 07-06-2022, 09:59 PM   #3
iakona
Not Yet Wild

sooooo, i started another post and it got deleted. so here's what i remember.

Motor Replacement.

i was able to cross reference the old westinghouse motor to a current offering under D691. i matched by shape and spline count, and then i took a serious chance on it after verifying the bolt holes and shaft diameter. but it fits!! there is a company in illinois IWI that makes the motor. it is a direct bolt in replacement! not bad for only $800. especially since the other options are - well, there are no other options. all these fast motor companies i called refused to wind me a custom motor. so i took matters into my own hands. here's the one i found while trolling the net one night:

https://www.cartpartsrus.com/motors/motors.htm

cartpartsrus > motors > motors
MOTOR 2HP 2800RPM, 76-83 CC, YAMAHA
16 SPLINE, EXT
G.E. Motor, standard replacement.
(2hp@2800rpm) For Club Car 1970-83.
For Yamaha

Westinghouse 7448

i then went to mcmaster and found some appropriate material for a gasket between said motor and drive unit housing. i used the old one as a template and with an sharp knife and hole punch, made a replacement - using the old one as a guide.
Gasket Material Disc > Chemical-Resistant Viton® Fluoroelastomer, 8" Diameter
McMaster part number: 1084N93
Old 07-06-2022, 10:20 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Wow. Good post and good info. But… For $800 I think I’d just replace the rear axle with a newer style axle and convert to cable operated brakes while I was at it. Little more work but a whole lot more options for motors at that point.

But then again… I didn’t even pay $800 for my whole caroche
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:33 PM   #5
iakona
Not Yet Wild

yeah. i was trying to isolate the issues one by one. i figured a replacement might be the best way to go. it wasn't the motor. still troubleshooting this damned thing... all clicks and only full throttle. this is a finicky little beast.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:08 PM   #6
iakona
Not Yet Wild

i thought i could edit my post. sorry for the extra.

so. rear drum cylinders. amazon. Raybestos WC37102 and Raybestos WC37103. $20 each.

and. master cylinder. amazon. FPE - Forklift Master Cylinder Clark 1757015. even comes with the fittings you need. $40. you just need to add this one fitting from the vintage golf parts site: Part Number: BK44-600
Old 07-14-2022, 02:39 PM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Great post. I might link this to the Restoration section as well as there are some Caroche posts there every now and then. I was given a Caroche last summer that I have on the list for restoration. I have about 3 other projects in front of it so it's going to be awhile yet.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:43 PM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Wow. Good post and good info. But… For $800 I think I’d just replace the rear axle with a newer style axle and convert to cable operated brakes while I was at it. Little more work but a whole lot more options for motors at that point.

But then again… I didn’t even pay $800 for my whole caroche
This is completely logical but I am one of those "keep it as original as possible" kind of people.

I actually have a motor guy in the area who will rebuild old motors. The last one I gave him was $500 but the motor was so junk that I can't believe he was even able to fix it. It was 100% full of mud from sitting low in the dirt and getting rained on for decades. He got the thing running like new.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:40 AM   #9
iakona
Not Yet Wild

just happy to contribute!!

a little more info:
for the front hubs, i have found people selling "caroche" ones for upwards of $110 EACH. Club Car hubs all the way up to 2002 will fit. cross reference part numbers: 1011892 11011102 1011153 1011889 1011894 and caroche part number 7114.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #10
iakona
Not Yet Wild

so, correction on the brakes. i was advised wrong (go figure).

i ordered a dorman M1050. The other one i was advised to get, the center section was too large to fit into the socket on the cart. there is an issue with the 1050 though, the bottom hole does not quite line up. i had to slot it about 5mm to get it where it needed to be. but it is bolted up and fits perfectly. with the brass fitting from vitnage, everything fit up nice and sweet.

the above noted wheel cylinders will be going on tomorrow or the next day, then figuring out how to bleed this *******. after that, i'm off to the races!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car