lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
jcubed821
Not Yet Wild

Red face Speed Freedom Chip or Steep Hill Chip?

I just purchased a 2002 EZ GO Electric 36V TXT PDS. It has four seats. While driving around the hilly neighborhood, with another couple, I noticed the golf cart would go really slow up hills. (I could probably get out and walk faster.) It would be go 13 mph on flat terrain with no problems. Is there a chip you would recommend to help fix this issue? If I get a freedom "speed" chip, sure it makes the cart go 19 mph, but would it help the cart haul 4 people up a hill? Should I get the steep hill chip instead? I heard this chip can burn up the motor easily. I see they are easy to install and are affordable. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
jcubed821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Speed Freedom Chip or Steep Hill Chip?

From what I understand no chip is going to make a difference while going UP a hill. The chips just control the regen braking and speed limiter and have nothing to do with going up hill.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well pds motors and controllers don't like that kind of load as it is. I would recommend getting with Scottyb at carts unlimited and look into getting a new controller, resistor, solenoid and diode. And if not already done get some of his cables. They are the best quality I have ever seen!
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A 400 amp controller works well you can also detune a 500 amp and get a better motor down the road. Doing this takes stress off both items. Plum Quick can also rewind a motor for better torque.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
OlManRivah
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Several folks have stated problems with hill climbing. I have a stock 2006 PDS and it goes up hills as easy as flat ground.

Maybe a motor on it's last legs. What does the battery voltage do while climbing hills? Maybe batteries on last leg.

When I bought mine, the Dealer had a small course he would take customers through which had hills. I was surprised how the EZgo handled hills.

There is an answer to this.............
OlManRivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

^ True I have a 07 with 2010 batts and it hauls 4 people fine and I had 5 with a kid on a bike holding on in tow to make 6 grown bodies and some of us are XX-large.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea I have never had a problem tackling hills it's just not recommended. But I would still upgrade your controller and what not so you don't have to worry about it in the future.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Speed Freedom Chip or Steep Hill Chip?

Check batteries first. 2002 cart I beat it has the orignal batteries in it. The chips only help with braking effect going down hill, they don't do anything for going up hill!
If you have a lift on the cart with over sized tires it adds to this and makes the cart work harder to maintane a speed. Don't ever stall a PDS motor on a hill are any kind of a load. This is the fastest way to burn it up.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO