lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
techie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Choosing a Club Car No Maintenance Charger

I have a friend that has a Club Car 48v (8x6v). He has a Lester 48v charger with the round plug and 3 prongs inside the plug. They use this cart at their lakehouse so it may be connected for several weeks without anyone visually inspecting the unit. The charger needs to be maintenance free and be allowed to stay plugged intot the cart. The problem is this charger does not turn off to a low maintenance mode, it keeps boiling the batteries for over 36hrs. Within a week or so the batteries are low on water (plates showing) and still boiling. What do I need to know to correctly match a charger to his cart to use the current plug and select an appropriate cgharger that will turn into maintenance mode to keep the batteries charged and not keep boiling them. He is buying new batteries today for the cart and I want to make sure he has a charger that will properly maintain the batteries.

I understand he will have to watch the water level no matter what he buys but he needs a charger he can leave plugged in weeks at a time that will maintain the batteries.
techie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Choosing a Club Car No Maintenance Charger

He may be having a problem with the OBC (on board computer) . . . the charge cycle should not run more than 16 hours without shutting down, which is controlled by the OBC . . . when left plugged in, subsequent charging will happen about every 2 weeks, again controlled by the OBC . . . his problem also could be charger related . . . stay tuned, as others more knowledgeable than me will provide means/methods to determine what the issue is with his situation . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If he is techie enough to install 8/6v batteries then he is capable of removing the OBC and using a nice standalone charger with maintenance feature. We carry the 48v DPI 5 stage charger with built in maintenance mode. It will shut off when the batteries are recharged and then go into a countdown for 28 days. It will then check the batteries and come on IF they need recharging. They are $285 with the plug that fits your cart.
P.S.
His current charger problems my be bad battery related
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPI charger ad.JPG (128.5 KB, 11 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if his chatger isn,t shutting off than theres a problem.........if he can try the charger on another cart to see if it will shut off than thats the thing to do..........one of the ways an OBC will go bad is by not shutting charger off and frying batteries.............with cart and charger both working correct the charger has a maintence feature and you can leaver it plugged in, it will shut off and than moniter and come on as needed..........having said that what scotty is talking about isn,t a bad idea for the main reason it takes the OBC out of the picture............and you can have the right end put on for the cart..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
P.S.
Even with a bad battery, shouldn't the OBC shut down after 16 hours of charging . . ??
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Even with a bad battery, shouldn't the OBC shut down after 16 hours of charging . . ??
Theoretically, yes
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
techie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for all the information. If he buys a new charger that will not use the OBC then how do I use the same charging plug housing and take the OBC out of the equation?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
techie1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If he is techie enough to install 8/6v batteries then he is capable of removing the OBC and using a nice standalone charger with maintenance feature. We carry the 48v DPI 5 stage charger with built in maintenance mode. It will shut off when the batteries are recharged and then go into a countdown for 28 days. It will then check the batteries and come on IF they need recharging. They are $285 with the plug that fits your cart.
P.S.
Sorry, I misspoke. I was thinking of my cart when I said 8/6v, it should have said 6/8v
Old 12-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

delta-q quiq is my preference. charger can be mounted on-board and left hardwired to the cart's batteries. no special plug is required. will run on 115V or 230V input.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car