lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Default Smokey Solenoid

Went for a Christmas stroll, after about 20-25 mins starting smelling burning something... made it home and didn't think much of it.

Took my pops for a ride about 2 hours later on same route - smoke was now coming off of solenoid post when I got home. About a half hour later solonoid would not click and cart was non mobile.

Later in the day the cart did start, but the solonoid still smokes.. what do I need to do people?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (161.1 KB, 0 views)
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Smokey Solenoid

If it is part of the solenoid activation circuit, the smaller wire with the end almost burnt off may be why the solenoid wasn't closing.

Definitely need a new end on the high current cable and some TLC with a wire brush on the terminal.

That appears to be a crimped lug. Have you ever read the Trojan white paper on battery cables? (Attached)
Take a look at the photos on the second page, also attached. (Please note the temperature scales are different on the two IR photos.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crimped connector.JPG (22.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Soldered connector.JPG (25.0 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WP_BatteryCableGuide_0512.pdf (293.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I could also be the way the lugs are stacked on the solenoid output side (large cables). The lug from the large cable should be on the bottom of the stack, closest to the bottom nut on the solenoid post. The way it is now you are forcing high current flow through those smaller lugs AND reducing the surface contact area of the high current lugs. The heat generated so far may have cooked that solenoid. Clean it up, give the cables new lugs, restack the cables and give it a try.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Took me a while to get to this, but you were right. Took off all cables, one on solenoid had just one small section of wiring contacting. Put new connector on and all is good.

thanks all!
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO