lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
andyd4ntx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Backup lights on PDS cart

I am trying to figure out how I can add a backup light /work light to my wife's EZ-GO PDS cart.

Can I drive a relay off the beeper wire OR would it be better to replace the direction switch on the dash with something that has another set of contacts to drive the backup light from?

A Triple Pole Double Throw switch ( TPDT) , using the first two poles to replace the stock direction switch for the PDS control system and run 12 volt thru the third pole to run a relay for the backup light.
Has anybody done this with either or a different method?
Andrew
andyd4ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Backup lights on PDS cart

I like the relay idea
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Agreed. A TPDT switch would have to be rated adequately to handle the lights. LEDs are probably not a proble, but if you use 55 watt halogens, you need to make sure your switch can handle the current.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I opted for just a switch on the dash so the lights could be on without the beeper sounding off.
RobCons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

I went with a regular switch, partly because I never thought about your way! But I mounted a pair of these to the rear supports. I will try to post a picture later but they have come in handy more than I even planned as work lights, so you may consider without the beep, likes said above. They are much brighter than the driving lights I had on the 4 wheeler for extra light and the wife even approves, and uses them, so that is just an added bonus.

Rupse 18W LED Offroad Work Light Worklamp Flood Spot Beam 12V 24V ATV SUV Jeep Mine Boat Lamp : Amazon.com : Automotive Rupse 18W LED Offroad Work Light Worklamp Flood Spot Beam 12V 24V ATV SUV Jeep Mine Boat Lamp : Amazon.com : Automotive
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Last year, I came up with the idea about firing a relay via the (unused) backup alarm wire. I was warned by someone on here (JohnnyB, maybe...or Sir Nuke) that the relay might pull too much current, which could fry my $$ controller!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
andyd4ntx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the info and Ideas. Ya "Knothead" that was my worry that the relay would pull too much and break the PDS controller ( Not a good idea!) I am thinking I will go with the switch... This was much easier to wire up on my ST350 (gas)
Andrew.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Here are my backup / work lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.6 KB, 0 views)
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
andyd4ntx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyluke View Post
Here are my backup / work lights.
Sweet! Like the LED's unfortunately the ones I will be using are halogen but they are only for short duration use. At least that is the intent
Andrew
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO