lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2022, 06:27 PM   #131
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: 48volt club car limthium battery exploded

I built my pack before there were drop in packs. I must say I learned a lot and don’t regret it. OTOH, with today’s packs when mine is done a drop in is the likely replacement.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2022, 07:22 PM   #132
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would build another when needed if I can find suitable cells. My two carts are going strong and I expect to get many more years out of them before needing to find replacement cells.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:23 AM   #133
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yup! I agree with you Volt. I figure by the time my current pack needs replaced, there will hopefully be even "more better" and "more cheaper" packs available! The "more cheaper" is just a dream....with inflation mebby a pack will go on sale for $10,000!!!
Old 08-27-2022, 08:13 AM   #134
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I also built mine, and would definitely do it again.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:43 PM   #135
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Lithium is safe when used within its limits. In this case the cells were allowed to become over discharged which then caused a fire during the charging process. They were also
NMC type calls. LiFePO4 are much safer even when abused.

Cheers
Pat.
I agree and am surprised it took 12 pages of reading till I seen this mentioned. I see many people scared off from "Lithium" because of stories like this but the truth is there are different types of lithium batteries. personally I wont use NMC cells in my golf cart but they are typically fine if the guidelines are followed.

I had lead acid cart battery explode in my garage years ago while being charged because of a foolish mistake I made and the concrete floor is still a mess reminding me of it every time I glance over to the corner of my garage. Bottom line is all batteries can be dangerous. chances for incidents just go up when they are abused. even "drop in" are at risk... If they werent you would never hear of EV fires... while its true EVS are involved in about 2/3 less fires per 100,000 vehicles made than gas vehicles theres still risk. (ironically hybrid vehicles are involved in almost twice the fires than gas and electric combined)
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:40 PM   #136
LJC2001
Not Yet Wild

I'm ready to bite the bullet and do away with acid batteries. What do y'all think of this ECO set? This is on eBay right now. All metal case single drop-in. I only drive short trips of less than a mile per day. Pull a wagon around for repairs to the fence and gardening occasionally. Are there any other mods I need to do on a Club car DS stock cart? Is this a drop-in and wire it up? Thanks
l

Golf Cart DC-DC 48V TO 12V 20 AMP Voltage Reducer Converter 240W Power Regulator

New
Qty
$15.95

48 Volt For Club Car Golf Cart Battery Charger 48V 6 Amps Snap Head 3 Pin Plug
$76.80

ECO 48V 50Ah 100Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery Metal Case Deep Cycles for RV Golf cart
New
Qty
$669.99
Standard Shipping

Last edited by LJC2001; 03-16-2023 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: delete post
LJC2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:00 PM   #137
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC2001 View Post
I'm ready to bite the bullet and do away with acid batteries. What do y'all think of this ECO set? This is on eBay right now. All metal case single drop-in. I only drive short trips of less than a mile per day. Pull a wagon around for repairs to the fence and gardening occasionally. Are there any other mods I need to do on a Club car DS stock cart? Is this a drop-in and wire it up? Thanks
l

Golf Cart DC-DC 48V TO 12V 20 AMP Voltage Reducer Converter 240W Power Regulator

New
Qty
$15.95

48 Volt For Club Car Golf Cart Battery Charger 48V 6 Amps Snap Head 3 Pin Plug
$76.80

ECO 48V 50Ah 100Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery Metal Case Deep Cycles for RV Golf cart
New
Qty
$669.99
Standard Shipping
you need at least two of those batteries.. it can only put out 50 amps.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:47 AM   #138
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I dunno what specific listing on EBay your looking at since you provided no link. I did a quick search on Ebay and what I came across https://www.ebay.com/itm/404136787322 shows (as AugieD stated) it was rated for 50A.

Now, the description includes "Golf Cart" but when you scroll through the pics on the left, there is no golf cart pic's. there. RV pics....no golf cart.

The product spec's are incomplete. If I were looking at drop in's I'd go to a reputable dealer to spend my $$$$. Cheap is cheap until it doesn't work. Then it's expensive.

FWIW
Old 03-17-2023, 06:57 AM   #139
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I dunno what specific listing on EBay your looking at since you provided no link. I did a quick search on Ebay and what I came across https://www.ebay.com/itm/404136787322 shows (as AugieD stated) it was rated for 50A.

Now, the description includes "Golf Cart" but when you scroll through the pics on the left, there is no golf cart pic's. there. RV pics....no golf cart.

The product spec's are incomplete. If I were looking at drop in's I'd go to a reputable dealer to spend my $$$$. Cheap is cheap until it doesn't work. Then it's expensive.

FWIW
Hes talking about this one... https://www.ebay.com/itm/12549986786...3ABFBMjsm81N1h

Eco Worthy has been around for a few years and their batteries are decent, nothing special but they are cost effective for what they are. 3 of these would be a decent setup but at like $2100 there may be better options to provide 150a and 150ah...
Old 03-17-2023, 07:00 AM   #140
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Hes talking about this one... https://www.ebay.com/itm/12549986786...3ABFBMjsm81N1h

Eco Worthy has been around for a few years and their batteries are decent, nothing special but they are cost effective for what they are. 3 of these would be a decent setup but at like $2100 there may be better options to provide 150a and 150ah...
Ok. I see.

Still.....two or three separate batteries.....each with their own BMS. I see to many potential "down the road" issues with this type of setup.

Tags
club car, explosion, fire, fire truck, linthium battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car