lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2022, 01:29 PM   #1
mta5002414
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 - fuel is coming out of...

I understand the fuel pump method of operation but am not sure if it would include what I'm about to say. When the engine is not running, I remove the supply line from the carb and fuel will steadily pour out if the line is below the tank level. If I raise the line up, flow stops so it's not "forced".
Should this be happening with the engine off? (I didnt think so but also don't see a "check valve" in the pump that'd prevent it either)

thanks
mta5002414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G9 - fuel is coming out of...

Stuck float? Maybe
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:52 PM   #3
mta5002414
Not Yet Wild

I mean gas steadily runs out of the fuel supply hose coming from the fuel pump to the carb, when the cart is off.
Maybe everyone's 4 stroke gas cart does that but due to some other "weird" stuff I'm remediating from previous owners...I wanted to ask and make sure.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:53 PM   #4
mta5002414
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon willis View Post
Stuck float? Maybe
Forgot to say thanks for the reply though.. I appreciate all input/info
Old 09-26-2022, 04:18 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

No that’s not normal. And the outlet of the fuel tank is in the very bottom so it’s hard to NOT be above that level. Does it stop if you remove the gas cap? Maybe the vent isn’t working and it’s got a slight pressure pushing out the fuel? Other possibility is the valves in the fuel pump are stuck open and it’s just an open line between the tank and the carb. You’d want a new fuel pump in that case.

The pump is pretty simple. There’s a baffle that flexes and 2 valves that push fuel through to the carb. If those valves are damaged or stuck then it would essentially be a direct “line” from the tank to the carb
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:23 PM   #6
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It’s ok and cp is right it’s probably just stuck gas vapors in the tank
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:05 PM   #7
mta5002414
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both! I didn't think that seemed right. It's acting as if it's a straight line from the tank and I'll check the pump / cap tomorrow
Old 09-27-2022, 04:52 PM   #8
mta5002414
Not Yet Wild

Temps are cooler today, 70 vs 80. I removed the cap and it didn't flow out. So it could be a vent problem but is it normal to have a venting cap and a grommet vent on the tank top?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_3018.jpg (82.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-27-2022, 04:58 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’m honestly not sure what that grommet is for. Most the G2’s and G9’s I’ve had it wasn’t even there so I fit whatever rubber grommet I had laying around so it wouldn’t splash out.

The vent is built into the cap on those. It’s also common if the cover door that closes over the cap is not there, that vent acts like a funnel and dumps water into the tank. It will also gum up and seize that vent from working so could create pressure that way as well. I would drill a couple small 1/8” holes or so through the whole thing so it will vent and see if that helps you any.

If you don’t have the cover door over the fill cap (and I’ve never bought a G2/G9 that DID have one) I would buy one. They’re only about 10-12 bucks on Amazon. Usually the 2 screws to mount it are crazy rusted so I just zip tie it on and it works just fine.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:40 PM   #10
mta5002414
Not Yet Wild

The "pod" on the bottom side of the cap has 3 holes about 1/8 diameter. I'll prob enlarge those to 3/16 or 1/4.

I removed the 3 tiny screws that hold the pod onto the cap assembly but it wouldn't come loose. But I can hear internals moving if I shake it...

Thank goodness I have a fuel door because the cap top is a funnel for sure!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha