lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
RJM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Intermittent 'Forward Input - Off' issue on Curtis 1520

Hi all,

Cart is a 2009 Carryall IQ Plus.

I am running into an intermittent issue where the Curtis 1520 is not detecting a forward signal. I have swapped out the FNR switch and confirmed the brown forward input wire is getting a consistent pack voltage when the switch is in Forward. The wire has good continuity from the FNR switch. Reverse is working fine and the cart backs up fine.

Any thoughts what may be causing this? This controller was just rebuilt by FSIP.

Thanks,
Ray
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2022, 10:50 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Intermittent 'Forward Input - Off' issue on Curtis 1520

Loose pin in the controller connector or a bad connection in the controller.
Make sure the socket in the connector is pushed all the way into the housing. Also make sure it is not bent/damaged.
And make sure the pin on the controller is not damaged.

Use a paper clip or T-pin to back probe the connector while it is plugged into the controller and verify that 48v is present and steady at the connector pin. If voltage varies at the pin, then check for wiring damage. If voltage stays steady then either the pin is damaged or the controller is.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:25 AM   #3
RJM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thank you, Fairfax! It seems like it may be an issue with the 24 pin connector. I was fiddling with it at a time when forward wasn’t being detected, and all of a sudden the input showed ‘on’ on my programmer. Is there a procedure for reseating a wire in the connector?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 10-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Disconnect the battery pack first.
Unplug the connector from the controller and look in the terminal side and see if they're all evenly pushed in. Find your forward wire and try to gently tug it out of the connector. It should be clipped in pretty well. If it pulls out then the terminal or the lock tab in the connector are damaged. Usually if this is the case you can just put some pressure on the wire when plugging in the connector and it will stay in place just fine.

Check the terminal for damage, make sure it's not bent or misshapen. If it's damaged it may not make proper contact with the pin. Sometimes they can be carefully bent back, other times you have to replace the terminal.
Also check the wire end where the terminal is crimped on, make sure it's not corroded or frayed.
Re-insert the connector into the controller end, and make sure it goes in straight and the locking tab fully clicks down. Double check that all of the terminals are fully pushed in. If you see any that look like they're sticking out further give the wire a push and see if it pushes in any.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:52 AM   #5
RJM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thank you for taking the time on that reply, this is great advice.

Do you happen to know if this is a Molex connector? I was looking at pin tools and possibly a new pin for this wire (if ultimately needed).

Also, would dielectric grease possibly help or is it not advisable?
Old 10-02-2022, 12:19 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Molex 39-01-2240 Mini-Fit Jr. 5557 Series

Or just buy a 24 pin ATX extension cable.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:56 PM   #7
RJM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys. I used that to find the tool and pin If needed.

I had the connector out of the controller and noticed the pin had a bit of play and was a bit more inset than the others. I reattached it to the controller while applying pressure to the brown wire/pin. Fingers crossed, all good so far.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:25 PM   #8
RJM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Working the bugs out of this otherwise very nice Carryall 6 that seems to have had minimal use, but was sitting.

Cart is driving pretty much perfectly except for random forward input issues, as described, plus random solenoid faults when going over bumps.

Most recently main coil open. I hit some bumps, Cart hesitates, you let off throttle and it keeps going. I check my handheld and it shows solenoid open or drop out. Possibly related to the 24 pin harness as well?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car