lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
kyle.malone
Not Yet Wild

Default lights quit working

I have a 92 Electric Marathon. I have not had the lights hooked up for about a month now due to some very corroded ends. I just put new ends on them and hooked the negetive and positive wires back up. Pos on Bat 1 and Neg on Bat 6. The lights worked before I moved the cart to the lake and now nothing. My cart came with lights from factory and I seriously doubt all the lights went out at the same time. Does anyone know if there is a voltage reducer on the cart from factory or are the lights hooked up to 36 volts???? Any help would be appriciated or should I just buy a new voltage reducer, install it and wire the lights to the new reducer. Thanks in advance. EDIT:: I forgot to add that I did check the fuses and they are good.
kyle.malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: lights quit working

I am not aware of any 36v factory lights, so chances are you have 12v automotive units installed. And, if you hooked them up the way you said, you ran 36v to all the 12v bulbs in the circuit and burned them all out. The fuses did not blow because there was no short circuit involved. The bulbs just got too much voltage.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle.malone View Post
I have a 92 Electric Marathon. I have not had the lights hooked up for about a month now due to some very corroded ends. I just put new ends on them and hooked the negetive and positive wires back up. Pos on Bat 1 and Neg on Bat 6. The lights worked before I moved the cart to the lake and now nothing. My cart came with lights from factory and I seriously doubt all the lights went out at the same time. Does anyone know if there is a voltage reducer on the cart from factory or are the lights hooked up to 36 volts???? Any help would be appriciated or should I just buy a new voltage reducer, install it and wire the lights to the new reducer. Thanks in advance. EDIT:: I forgot to add that I did check the fuses and they are good.
Is there a voltage reducer on board? What does your voltmeter tell you?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Riorat
supervision required

Club Car

If your lights are wired in series they would share the voltage, in other words if you had three lights the same size they would be using 12 V each when hooked in series to a 36 V battery. Also if one bulb went out none of the others would work. (like Xmas tree lights). If they are wired in series you should only have one wire going from one light to the next.
Riorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riorat View Post
If your lights are wired in series they would share the voltage, in other words if you had three lights the same size they would be using 12 V each when hooked in series to a 36 V battery. Also if one bulb went out none of the others would work. (like Xmas tree lights). If they are wired in series you should only have one wire going from one light to the next.
True....but I doubt any of the 3 major builders went this route...
I think there has to be a voltage reducer or the lights were hooked to two batteries to get 12v. Like Pos #1 and Neg #2. Or such.....
Old 03-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Riorat
supervision required

Club Car

That's what I thought too, but he said the lights worked in his shop. and I figured that if he applied 36 V to 12 V lights they would have blown immediately. Mabie a Ezgo man will jump in and help here.
Riorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

36v to 12v lights WILL work for a short time, and they will be VERY bright. Check the bulbs.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

COMEON, KYLE !!! You have 3 good mechanics waiting for more info to help.
Look at a bulb. Is it burnt? What is it 1157 or what? What. What . What?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
kyle.malone
Not Yet Wild

Sorry it took so long to get back. The lights quit working after i installed new batteries/lines/and ends for all small wires. I do not see anything that would resemble a voltage reducer or look lik the lines are hooked together like a christmas tree. Underneath the front end there is a mass load of wires that do not connect to anything. Maybe I should just rip all wires out put in a voltage reducer and run new lines. I did however put a positive on #1 and negative on #6 and run to one of the lights. Blew instantly. So i know that one light definitly needs to be changed.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
kyle.malone
Not Yet Wild

This is what the front end looks like. So i am told by my father-in-law that this is how he bought it from the dealer in '92.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart full.JPG (26.4 KB, 9 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO