lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2009 Prec is slow...TPS or speed sensor?

Make sure your Customer knows the TPS were recalled and replaced with MCOR's in late '09 and '10 by Club Car because they had a failure issue and by not having a microswitch they could just "run-away" and became a safety issues. I would replace it and with an MCOR conversion kit.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think we need David to clarify this one, as I recall the issue was limited to IQ Controllers (not Excel) and it was just a nuisance throttle error code because the IQ controller needed a constant low voltage signal and the TPS could not send a throttle signal when it was turned OFF (Key switch OFF).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Hmm.... Not 100% sure Sergio, my '09 Precedent i2 Excel had the TPS, but you are right, David will know. Never heard the error issue, but I know for sure it was due to there being no MS in a TPS that was the major safety problem. If a failing TPS went to swinging the the throttle signal while it was sitting (key On and in Fwd or Rev) it would take off. The MCOR's were added to replace it since if a similar situation occurred, the cart would not move because the MS was not make up.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There were Excel with TPS, but the software inside the Excel controllers did not check for the throttle error with the Key OFF, only the IQ controller software had that bug.

It was definitely a screw up since Club Car had the MCOR, switched to TPS and then had to tell their technicians to ignore throttle fault codes as it was a bug, of course throttle errors were not always a bug, some were real... so back to MCOR under warranty.

The TPS still provides a pedal signal to Controller pin #6, but it may not have been just a mechanical switch.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #15
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yeah, no mechanical switch in the TPS. That was how we would test an '09 operating cart to be a TPS or MCOR. If it clicked, it was an MCOR. If not, it was a TPS... The TPS did supply a Pedal signal electronically in conjunction with the Throttle, and it was all through a single 5-pin connector as opposed to the 2/3 connectors on the MCOR's.

I guess in theory it was a good idea but in reality it was an issue......
Old 05-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The TPS was available on both the IQ and Excel cars. It needs to be removed from a car regardless of which system you have. Replacing it with an MCOR will cause no ill-effects other than a "throttle fault" code showing in the Errors if you plug your handheld into the controller. This throttle fault will cause no issues.

The TPS is dangerous because it doesn't have a safety micro switch. As we all know, to make the car move, the controller has to detect the FOOT INPUT = ON in addition to a throttle signal from the MCOR. It has to have both in order to run. The problem with the TPS is that it automatically turns the FOOT INPUT on when it detects throttle signal. If the TPS fails and the throttle signal begins to fluctuate while the car is sitting still with the key on and in the forward or reverse position, it can start to run by itself. That's why they were recalled. The MCOR has the safety micro switch to keep this from happening.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
Cdk
Getting Wild

Ok update, changed the speed sensor, still only does 7 mph.

The cart actually only does 4 mph in reverse. Is this indicative of another symptom?

I'm getting ready to just throw a 440 Navitas controller on it to see if that changes things.
Cdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just to make sure, How exactly did you test the Solenoid to make sure the contacts are not sticking?

If not the Solenoid the only other possibility that matches the 50% power mode you are experiencing is a bad controller.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
Cdk
Getting Wild

I used a multimeter to check continuity between the posts as it flipped on and off.

Swapped in a stock Curtis controller I had lying around, and now I’m getting 11 mph. Guess the controller must have been bad.
Cdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #20
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdk View Post
Swapped in a stock Curtis controller I had lying around, and now I’m getting 11 mph. Guess the controller must have been bad.
That controller must be set to SP2 as that is 11.4 mph. If you have a Curtis Hand-Held, I would at least use the code off the cart and set it to SP3 which will get you 14.8 mph.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car