lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
JTSimms
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Post 12v Independent Battery Wiring Info Needed

Good morning everyone. I have decided to change directions after reading for hours on this and am in need of some help please. I am building a 2008 Precedent and want to install a complete and independent 12v system to power all accessories. More information below: I want to be as detailed as possible in order to help others that may be looking to do the same.

- Accessories to be powered - 1. Full LED light kit with blinkers, horn, mirror blinkers, high beams, 1 light bar and 2 spot LED's. 2. Radio console and 4x6.5 speakers with a 1600w amplifier. 3. 600w subwoofer amp powering a 10" subwoofer. 4. LED Light Strip under cart. 5. Voltage meter and USB chargers.

- I already have the 12v battery, 12v battery charger, Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block (12 circuit with negative)

The reason for running and independent 12v system is so I can have accessories on when I want but not have the motor operational. There are times where we want to listen to music and have the lights on but small kids are around and I do not want them to accidentally move the cart.

My questions:

1. Will one 12v battery power all of this in theory? What has been your experience? I have not added up amperage yet as I do not have all of the components.

2. I want to install an on/off accessory switch on my dash so I can completely kill the 12v independent system before charging or at the end of the night. How would you wire this with in-line fuses, relays, etc? Wiring Diagram would be beautiful!

3. I was going to do a voltage reducer wired to key switch (I know how to run that) for lights and have the sound system on a separate independent 12v battery. Does this sound like a better option? I still need to learn how to install an on/off switch for the 12v independent system and how you would wire if so. Wiring Diagram would be Championship here too!

Basically I am confused. This is my third cart build, first Club Car, and first 12v battery independent experience.

Thank all of you in advance. I couldn't have build the first two without you all!

Jerrod
JTSimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
Michael Cooper
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 12v Independent Battery Wiring Info Needed

Hey Jerrod,
I just posted the same question last week and finished up the job on Sunday.
I too installed a auxiliary battery (12V) for the accessories with separate switches and charge meter. The only reason I'm chiming in here is that you mentioned a kill switch. If you install a stereo and put in a kill switch, you may lose the memory settings on the stereo. (Bluetooth, stations, settings). I ended up wiring the stereo to the Blue Sea fuse block full time and used a 48V relay from the key switch to activate the on/off for the stereo. Works like a champ.
Michael Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
JTSimms
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cooper View Post
Hey Jerrod,

I just posted the same question last week and finished up the job on Sunday.

I too installed a auxiliary battery (12V) for the accessories with separate switches and charge meter. The only reason I'm chiming in here is that you mentioned a kill switch. If you install a stereo and put in a kill switch, you may lose the memory settings on the stereo. (Bluetooth, stations, settings). I ended up wiring the stereo to the Blue Sea fuse block full time and used a 48V relay from the key switch to activate the on/off for the stereo. Works like a champ.

Michael,

Thank you so much. I can’t seem to ever use the correct search terms to pull up what I am looking for. Can you link your thread please sir? Do you think if I wire up all of my accessories to one 12v it is too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
JTSimms
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Michael,

I found your thread. Thank you again. Did you use the relay after all? Does anyone have a diagram?
Old 11-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSimms View Post
Does anyone have a diagram?
4 wires. i posted the connections in the thread mentioned and a link to the 48 volt relay
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
JTSimms
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
4 wires. i posted the connections in the thread mentioned and a link to the 48 volt relay
Thank you. You think the one battery will power all of it just fine or should I split?
Old 11-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since You are trying to avoid having the cart key switch ON in order to use the accessories, I would recommend You add a SPDT (ON-OFF-ON) Toggle or Rocker switch to your setup.

One side of the Rocker switch goes to the "always ON" side of the key switch.

The other side of the Rocker switch goes to the "switched ON" side of the key switch.

The center of the rocker switch goes to the "85" terminal of the relay posted.

That will allow you in one position of the Rocker switch to have the accessories turn ON and OFF with the key switch which is a great way to make sure they all get turned OFF.

On the other position of the Rocker switch the accessories will come ON even with the key switch OFF.

If You place the Rocker switch on the center "OFF" position, the accessories will not turn ON regardless the key switch position.

If You are wiring a Radio, the "constant power" wire, typically yellow from the Radio must be wired directly to the 12v battery.

The "switched power" wire from the Radio, typically Red should be wired to the 12v relay output.

A single 12v battery should be enough, how many AH is the battery?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

if you truly have 2200 watts, that is 183 amps, no battery will last long at that use
that's why big stereo cars have big alternators

seriously... i'd hate to have you in my neighborhood, or on any beach or park i'm in
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
JTSimms
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Since You are trying to avoid having the cart key switch ON in order to use the accessories, I would recommend You add a SPDT (ON-OFF-ON) Toggle or Rocker switch to your setup.

One side of the Rocker switch goes to the "always ON" side of the key switch.

The other side of the Rocker switch goes to the "switched ON" side of the key switch.

The center of the rocker switch goes to the "85" terminal of the relay posted.

That will allow you in one position of the Rocker switch to have the accessories turn ON and OFF with the key switch which is a great way to make sure they all get turned OFF.

On the other position of the Rocker switch the accessories will come ON even with the key switch OFF.

If You place the Rocker switch on the center "OFF" position, the accessories will not turn ON regardless the key switch position.

If You are wiring a Radio, the "constant power" wire, typically yellow from the Radio must be wired directly to the 12v battery.

The "switched power" wire from the Radio, typically Red should be wired to the 12v relay output.

A single 12v battery should be enough, how many AH is the battery?

Thank you very much Sergio! I’m on it.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #10
JTSimms
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
if you truly have 2200 watts, that is 183 amps, no battery will last long at that use
that's why big stereo cars have big alternators

seriously... i'd hate to have you in my neighborhood, or on any beach or park i'm in

2200 watts is max peak. RMS is sub 1,000. You know how that goes. I think I’ll split it up. I aim to be loud but not piss people off! Thank you very much for your time!

Tags
12v, aux, club car 2008 elec, fuse block, radio
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car