lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Why are folks opposed to regen braking? Downside?

My neighbor (01 DS) has his regen set fairly aggressively but, it only kicks in off throttle and seems to work as well or better than regular brakes. He rarely needs to apply his actual brakes. His cart is hot rodded doing over 30mph with motor, controller, cable etc.
I like the regen adding some charge back and the added braking without wearing the drum shoes seems good. What’s the down side? His only kicks in off throttle.

Thanks,

Hkspwrsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Why are folks opposed to regen braking? Downside?

I tent to think the majority of people who don’t like it live in relatively flat areas and/or are used to older carts that had no regen braking because there was no such thing.

Personally, I prefer it. When you find the right balance of braking and get used to it, the cart stops itself and the only thing you need the actual brakes for is when parking or for an emergency.

One downside to regen braking is it does wear out the brushes in the motor faster. And those are a lot more difficult to replace than brake shoes.
Another downside is if the motor is spinning at or above it’s high rpm limit, if regen braking kicks in and is not properly adjusted it can destroy the motor. This is mostly a problem in hilly/mountain areas where very high downhill speeds can be achieved. It’s important to know the upper limit of the motor design, and make sure that the controller has a speed limit set to prevent the motor from spinning faster than designed. Also very important to limit the regen braking power when the motor is turning close to or above its maximum speed to avoid the armature flying apart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

i have a stock 03 cc with speed magnet, i miss the regen braking
i rarely used the brakes before, now i have to
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I like it. People that don't like it want to coast downhill etc. I get that so I suggest the Alltrax XCT with a FN2 dongle.
The FN2 allows the driver dial up or down the speed and regen limits ( 2 knobs) At the ranch I like to come flying down the dirt road and turn into drive and crank the regen up. The result is a slid turn with out hitting the brakes
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
mustangless
Getting Wild
Club Car

I like mine. Only time I really use the brakes is a complete stop or holding on a hill.
mustangless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't use regen because I feel that if any braking needs to be done I want to control it.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

I like it, especially on the golf course. Once you take your foot off, the cart just glides to a stop on its own.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:28 PM   #8
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
I don't use regen because I feel that if any braking needs to be done I want to control it.
Doesn’t it only kick in off throttle? I don’t feel much at all on mine but, it resists the speed sensor test. I feel like it wouldn’t bother me if only off throttle.
Hkspwrsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #9
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Can anyone explain how regen braking can stop both wheels on an open differential. I saw a cart go down a 45% slope around a curve on wet black top the regen kicked in and the cart slide around into lucky the upper side in the hill. Without regen he could have released the brakes an controlled the cart.

I like the roll away braking, but not the regen. That's my thoughts.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I'm not a big fan of it either. Probably mostly because of what FT said, I'm not used to it. I don't use it on my carts but all the electric carts on the golf courses have it. I hate the way the carts start braking when you let off the go pedal.

Does anybody know how much this actually helps charge the batteries? I suspect not much.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car