lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #1
Code313
Not Yet Wild

Default Smoke from OBC

New here, thanks in advance. I have a ‘16 club car precedent, jacked up and modified by a local place. I wanted extra lights, so I got a 12V lawn more battery, mounted it in the space under the seats, and ran totally separate wiring. I did have a wire coming from the key to the LED on the 5 prong switch. It’s disconnected now. Anyway, when I hooked up to the 12V I smelled something, and eventually saw smoke coming from inside OCB box. I took out batteries and opened up, and something connecting the top lugs looks toasted, plus the cart won’t go. I have included a picture. Thanks in advance for help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70DB882F-DFB7-4A81-ABB0-6FC6CA5F8E98.jpg (18.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 903D5BCF-8B1B-4A46-9F18-A2FC871C0A43.jpeg (25.9 KB, 0 views)
Code313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: Smoke from OBC

Good news is you can do an OBC bypass to get the cart running again. Bad news is since you let the magic smoke out of the OBC your charger won't charge the cart until you replace the OBC or get a charger with a built in electronic timer, such as a DPI.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
Code313
Not Yet Wild

For clarification, the smoke wasn’t coming from the actual OBC. It was coming from the black box to the left of the OBC. There are two wires screwed on on top, and a little connector between the two. That’s what fried. I guess my question is can I find that connector, and is it possible OBC will work if it’s replaced.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:39 PM   #4
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

You do not have a OBC on a 2016 model. The part that is burned up is resistor or diode. Can’t really tell by looking at the picture. My diagram on a 2014 model does not show any thing across the large solenoid terminals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If it will not activate the solenoid, there may be more than a resistor. That should not prevent activation, only pre-charge. May want to test the small post/spade wires to verify you have 48v when the pedal is Depressed, key On and Fwd selected. If so, we need to test the solenoid.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:05 PM   #6
Code313
Not Yet Wild

Will do, thanks
Old 06-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
Code313
Not Yet Wild

Got her fixed. I burned through a couple of resistors before I took in and was told the control box was fried. Replaced and running perfectly now.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code313 View Post
Got her fixed. I burned through a couple of resistors before I took in and was told the control box was fried. Replaced and running perfectly now.
Thanks for the update
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car