lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #11
JohnnyFast
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Cart New Batteries Draining Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
What I'm trying to say is "a day's use" means different things to different people and their "use."

For example: i have an every day cart I use around my place. I go from 2 shops a hundred feet apart, I have a field I hit golf balls in. I use it ALL DAY but it probably does not go more than a mile or so. So when people say they can go for days without charging that is what they are talking about. It should be charged every day regardless of the distance used. Using a cart hours on end constantly is a HUGE difference.

I have no idea what you mean by putting on the charger 10-20 times tomorrow. If you mean 10-20 minutes that is the WRONG thing to do. Always plug it in and let it run until it shuts off.

Yeah I understand. This cart is mainly just being used to drive around my son and younger sisters. We aren't using it on a golf course or anything like that! But I agree driving it for an hour or so straight is not your typical golf course driving.

Also I am aware you need to charge the golf cart everytime after you use it, even if you've only used it for 15min.
What I meant is I've been reading how to properly break in your new batteries online.

From what I've gathered they say that the first 10-20 charges/discharges are very important to your batteries life.
They said to charge your batteries until they are full. (in my case I have to disconnect the charger because it doesn't seem to turn off on its own) then run the cart for 30min and use them at 50% discharge. Then plug them into the charger again, and repeat this process for 10-20 times and supposedly I should notice the battery life last longer?

Not sure if this is correct but that's what I've been finding people saying online.
JohnnyFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #12
JohnnyFast
Not Yet Wild

This is the break in method I've been using

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html
Old 06-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #13
JohnnyFast
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
They will never give you the run time that golf cart batteries will. They are not build for the loads a golf cart will draw.
Gotcha I understand! I suppose we'll work with what we got. The Trojan batteries were about $220 more pricy. But hey now I know! I appreciate your help
Old 06-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #14
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFast View Post
in my case I have to disconnect the charger because it doesn't seem to turn off on its own
There have been a number of cases on this forum where owners new to golf carts have terminated charging because they believe that their chargers are not shutting down, when in fact they have been shutting the charger off BEFORE getting a full charge.

I am away from my home computer right now so I can’t sent you some example Trojan charging information. Have a read through the Trojan charging information online to understand the stages of charging and the voltages that batteries see when charging in each stage. A 48 volt battery pack goes through a finish charge of approximately 63 volts (from memory ... I might be out a volt or so). That means that your 36 volt pack should be seeing a finish charge of about 47 volts.

What charge voltage are you seeing before terminating your charge? If you are shutting down much before 47 volts on your 36 volt pack, you are not getting a full charge.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #15
JohnnyFast
Not Yet Wild

Here's the picture I attached that I've been using as a reference on how much to charge it for. The most I've gotten it to reach in voltage is 38.40 volts so according to the chart it's 100% charged.

The charger I'm using is Lestronic II. The original owner who sold us the cart said it's supposed to shut off on its own when charged, however the other day I let it run for 24 hours and it did not shut off? He also said the gushiest in the charger should go all the way to 30 then back down to 0. However this charger the guage stays in between 0-10.

I also just watched a YouTube where a guy called the big bulky chargers (like the one I have) stupid chargers because they don't shut off on their own.
I just didn't think new batteries would really take more then 40 hours to charge? But then again I'm new to all of this

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: png 911188FB-495C-4E58-BD03-AC213D939722.png (183.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-16-2020, 07:47 PM   #16
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Those are STABILIZED VOLTAGES AFTER CHARGING. Not when the charger should disconnect. Two different things!

Read page 19 of the attach Trojan manual. You need to let your charger run until is shuts down ... for a 36 volt pack that means 48.6 volts according to Trojan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan - Charging Voltage and Profile - Flooded.JPG (75.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Trojan - Typical Charge Profile.JPG (50.8 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trojan Battery Users Guide - 2015.pdf (2.60 MB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #17
JohnnyFast
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Those are STABILIZED VOLTAGES AFTER CHARGING. Not when the charger should disconnect. Two different things!

Read page 19 of the attach Trojan manual. You need to let your charger run until is shuts down ... for a 36 volt pack that means 48.6 volts according to Trojan.

Interesting! The old batteries were Trojan but the new batteries I purchased are Bruteforce 6V. Do you think it's the same 48.6 voltage?
How do I find the actual voltage of my batteries once they've been charged?

And do you think the charger running for over 24 hours is normal? Most posts I see from other users say the max is 16 hours and it should shut off on its own. I just don't want to overcharge them or anything
Old 06-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #18
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
They will never give you the run time that golf cart batteries will. They are not build for the loads a golf cart will draw.
Exactly. I don't know what to tell him at this point. They will never perform as he wishes.

All the charging profiles etc. are for Golf Cart Batteries.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #19
JohnnyFast
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Exactly. I don't know what to tell him at this point. They will never perform as he wishes.

All the charging profiles etc. are for Golf Cart Batteries.
I get it that Trojan are the top of the line batteries. But Bruteforce 6v are also advertised as golf cart batteries on their website, so I would imagine they would do the job.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #20
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFast View Post
The batteries are deep cycle batteries but I spoke to two different Golf Cart shops and they recommend those batteries and said they were good. The old ones were Trojan and I was going to stick with those but they were more exspensive!
I take this to mean you are saying they are deep cycle, but not golf cart batteries.

This was your response to mrgolf asking you if they were golf cart batteries or deep cycle.

So are you now saying they ARE golf cart batteries?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clubcart batteries 36v
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car