lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2020, 03:32 PM   #31
ozycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Cart New Batteries Draining Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFast View Post
Drove it straight for about 1.5 hours and the batteries started to die and we had to push the cart up the driveway ...

... I've read online that you can usually get a few days on one charge on new batteries?
A few days doesn't mean you can drive a cart for hours and hours and hours. If I use my cart 20 minutes a day, plus a bit of loss of charge as it sits overnight, sure, I can drive a cart with lead-acid batteries over several days...but it doesn't mean I'm driving them all day long on those days.

Perhaps a better measure is what sort of distance you can drive the cart. How fast were you going for those 1.5 hours? What sort of terrain -- hilly, flat, city streets, pasture, etc.?
ozycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #32
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
He also said the gushiest in the charger should go all the way to 30 then back down to 0. However this charger the guage stays in between 0-10.
I "guess" that this is the part that we missed but Sergio picked up on.

I am still not sure what a "gushiest" is or is supposed to be . I "assume" that the "amp gauge" is being referred to here.

It sounds like your charger is likely the problem ... and as Sergio suggests, the fix should be relatively easy
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #33
JohnnyFast
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
In Your first post You mentioned:

Those old Ferro Ressonant chargers have a large capacitor connected to a separate winding in the transformer that is used to that regulate the output voltage and current saturation.

When they go bad, both the charging voltage and current output are reduced, which appears to be your problem.

If You post the exact charger model number we can verify if that is the type of charger You have and help you get the proper capacitor value to order.

Here's a picture of my current charger! Thank you and appreciate your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93D9F28F-8869-4909-8551-1C9AD4EFEBE0.jpg (220.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnyFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #34
JohnnyFast
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
I "guess" that this is the part that we missed but Sergio picked up on.

I am still not sure what a "gushiest" is or is supposed to be . I "assume" that the "amp gauge" is being referred to here.

It sounds like your charger is likely the problem ... and as Sergio suggests, the fix should be relatively easy
Sorry what I meant to say was "battery gauge" lol

And thanks for your previous tips! I'm gonna try those and report back. I just installed a battery voltage in the cart so I'm hoping that'll help to find out the proper voltage charge and make sure it doesn't get to low and charge properly!

I really appreciate everyone's help! Means a lot
Old 06-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #35
JohnnyFast
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozycart View Post
A few days doesn't mean you can drive a cart for hours and hours and hours. If I use my cart 20 minutes a day, plus a bit of loss of charge as it sits overnight, sure, I can drive a cart with lead-acid batteries over several days...but it doesn't mean I'm driving them all day long on those days.

Perhaps a better measure is what sort of distance you can drive the cart. How fast were you going for those 1.5 hours? What sort of terrain -- hilly, flat, city streets, pasture, etc.?
Usually pretty fast other then on turns! Terrain is usually on pavements around the neighborhood and rarely on the grass.

We've probably just been driving to much. I guess I was just under the wrong impression of what people online were saying about distance and took it the wrong way! You guys have definitely clear up a lot for me though!
Old 06-18-2020, 05:54 AM   #36
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Here's a picture of my current charger! Thank you and appreciate your help

This is the capacitor You need for that Model 7850 charger (6MF 660VAC):
https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...er-replacement

Your charging voltage needs to get to 2.5vpc or 45v for the pack to properly charge the pack.

The current on the front of the charger should always go to max when you first start the charge, even if the batteries were already fully charged.

Make sure You leave the charger unplugged from the AC power for at least 10 minutes before opening the box and touching the capacitor as it can store high voltage for a few minutes.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #37
retiredtech
Not Yet Wild

i would have to agree with ogre. why is there two battery cables attached to the 3rd battery from the top positive post. no reason to put power in or out there unless I am wrong.

wiring diagram shows that cable should be on battery 4 not 3 I guess is that how the old ones did slow in reverse?
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #38
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post
i would have to agree with ogre. why is there two battery cables attached to the 3rd battery from the top positive post. no reason to put power in or out there unless I am wrong.

wiring diagram shows that cable should be on battery 4 not 3 I guess is that how the old ones did slow in reverse?
That cable is for 1/2 speed reverse. Only in this instance it is wired for 2/3 speed in reverse. Nothing wrong with it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clubcart batteries 36v
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car