lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
ozycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default OEM Onward wheels on 2008 Precedent problems

I'm going crazy here, but am probably just missing something simple. Hopefully David from Revolution (@TahoeDawgZ71) can chime in.

I have a 2008 Precedent. I bought some brand new OEM take-offs from an Onward (the 10-inch Atlas wheels you see at the top of the third page here with 205/55-10 Loadstar tires on them): https://bit.ly/2YhohXR

When I take my stock wheels off the Precedent, the wheel studs barely stick through the Atlas wheels. On top of that, the Atlas wheels have really deep holes where the lug nuts go.

I bought these lug nuts:

https://amzn.to/30ZzBte

They were about twice as long as the stock lug nuts I had, but apparently still not long enough. Read on...

My tire iron was too big to fit into the holes in the Atlas wheels. My standard 3/4" socket was too big to fit into the holes. So, I ordered a "thin wall" socket set thinking that would do the trick. Nope -- the 3/4" thin wall socket is STILL too big to go into the deep holes on the Atlas wheels, so I can't tighten the lug nuts.

At this point the only thing I can think is either these wheels are not destined to go on this cart, OR the Onward with Atlas wheels must come with some insanely-long lug nuts to allow a socket to get on them to turn/tighten them. If someone can point me at a source for those, that would be great.

Here are a couple of pics showing how the "thin wall" socket still won't fit in the deep hole in the wheel.

Pic showing the deep holes in the Atlas wheel -- look at the one on the top left.

And here you can see how the socket doesn't come close to fitting in that hole:

Help, please! :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onward_atlas_1.jpg (104.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg onward_atlas_2.jpg (154.1 KB, 0 views)
ozycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Roger1224
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: OEM Onward wheels on 2008 Precedent problems

are you using a 1/2 drive are 3/8 drive,,,,,3/8 probably thinner wall,,,,then you could adapt up to 1/2 drive to torque wheels,,,, I am also assuming your studs are long enough coming thru wheel.
Roger1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
ozycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1224 View Post
are you using a 1/2 drive are 3/8 drive,,,,,3/8 probably thinner wall,,,,then you could adapt up to 1/2 drive to torque wheels,,,, I am also assuming your studs are long enough coming thru wheel.
I started with a 1/2 drive but then went down to a 3/8 drive with the same thought. When the 3/8 drive was still too big, I ordered a special "thin wall" socket set -- still no luck.

The studs are long enough for the lug nuts to screw onto enough for safety. I just need to get the lug nuts turned.

The lug nuts I have require a 3/4" socket. I have seen mention of some that require a 17mm socket. That might be just enough slimmer to do the trick, but before I go ordering yet something else, I'm hoping someone who knows these carts inside and out can chime in about what OEM lug nuts are used on the Onward with these wheels!
Old 06-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There are special "thin wall" non-marring sockets that have protective plastic sleeves on the OD for lug nuts. I had to remove that plastic sleeve in order for it to fit into the bore on my wheel.

My wheel and lug combo are different than yours, but your "thin wall socket set" may not be thin enough (mine weren't).

As far as the stud length goes, did you measure the length and compare it to the wheel hub thickness with calipers ? That would certainly tell if that combo won't work.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
Roger1224
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

if you removed wheel center cap would it help any? bench grind down your thin wall,,,then hang onto it,for later use,,, just throwing out some ideas here.
Roger1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
ozycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Removing the center cap won't help -- the picture makes it look like it is in the way, but it isn't. The socket is actually hitting against the metal of the wheel, not the plastic center cap.

I may try ordering one of the "protective" thin wall sets to see if removing the plastic sleeve gets me just thin enough.

I did just verify that a 17mm 3/8" drive socket does just fit into the hole in the wheel, so I may try to find a set of 17mm lug nuts. I would prefer OEM (which is why I'm hoping David from Revolution sees this and chimes in).
Old 06-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
ozycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

After more research, and finding the Onward parts list here:

https://bit.ly/2V2j04h

I found in Section 2, pages 2-4 and 2-6, my Atlas wheel (part number 47561641001) and 17x1/2-20 lug nuts (part number 47562951001). I'm going to see if David can get these for me pretty quickly. I think Club Car made some special lug nuts to fit 17mm sockets just for some of the Onward wheels.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Yep - you found them - a local dealer if you have access to one will have them as well - When I did the 12" Atlas wheels on my '08, I bought the lugnuts too.
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
Doc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Ryan View Post
Yep - you found them - a local dealer if you have access to one will have them as well - When I did the 12" Atlas wheels on my '08, I bought the lugnuts too.
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm considering putting the exact same wheels (12" Atlas) on mt '13 Precedent....what size lift kit are you running? Thanks in advance!
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm considering putting the exact same wheels (12" Atlas) on mt '13 Precedent....what size lift kit are you running? Thanks in advance!
No lift, they fit fine - they rub just a little at full lock (they're 19.5" tall versus 18 on the stock 8" wheel) Honestly, I wish I would have done a 3" lift and the 14s with turf tires (I play a lot of golf with mine).
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car