lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
kward
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Voltage drop under power

Just curious, I switched from 6 Trojan T890's that had 190 amp hour rating to 8 Interstate 6v with 225 amp hour rating. Not quite sure but is seems that the voltage drop under power in more since switching. Mine drops to around 45 or 46 volts under power after a full charge, seems like it used to only drop to around 48. Can anybody chime in and tell me what there voltage drop is?
kward is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage drop under power

New batteries are not full strength, it takes many cycles for them to reach full capacity.
Could this be part of the problem?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
kward
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

What amount of drop should I expect once the batteries have been conditioned?
kward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kward View Post
What amount of drop should I expect once the batteries have been conditioned?
Theoretically, you have increased your battery pack ampacity by about 18%, so the voltage drop should decrease by about 18%.
If you were dropping from 51V down to 48V before, you should only be dropping to about 48.5V, if the the relationship between voltage drop and ampacity is linear.

Of course, this does not take into consideration the resistance that exists in the high current connections and components, which cause a voltage drop irregardless of battery capacity.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
New batteries are not full strength, it takes many cycles for them to reach full capacity.
Could this be part of the problem?
I will go with Scotty on this. Also the internal resistance of Interstate and Trojan are probably not the same.
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardket View Post
I will go with Scotty on this. Also the internal resistance of Interstate and Trojan are probably not the same.
I'm with Scotty on this also, but kward's question stipulated, "once the batteries have been conditioned".

Not only is the internal resistance between Interstate and Trojan batteries different, the internal resistances of the "identical" batteries in a battery pack are different.

WARNING: Technical stuff follows.

At the molecular level, the voltage produced by the electro-chemical reaction is the same whether the cell (or battery) is fully charged, fully discharged or anyplace in between.
When we say that a cell (or battery) is being discharged, what we are actually saying is that the cell's internal resistance is increasing.

Since the internal resistance is in series with the poles of the cell, the voltage measured at the poles will be the intrinsic voltage of the chemistry, less the voltage developed across the internal resistance due to the current passing through it. This is true of all primary and rechargeable cells/batteries.

If the batteries in your pack all measure the same terminal voltage, it means that your voltmeter does have enough digits to the right of the decimal point to detect the differences in voltages.
(Of course these slight differences are meaningless until the get over the 0.1V range on pack made up of 6V batteries)

Now I gotta go out and send some electrons backwards through the battery of my wife's SLS and reduce the internal resistance so it will send enough current through the starter motor to fire up the Northstar.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

John, do you ever get headaches?

But yes break your batteries in first, then monitor the voltage drop. Visit carts unlimited on how to break batteries in!
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltf1991 View Post
John, do you ever get headaches?
Get - No. Give - Yes.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO