lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need HELP. Only lights and horn works.

Here is a wiring diagram that shows the ignition interlock (aka Reed Switch) in the cart's charger receptacle and the rest of the switches in the chain that have to close to activate the solenoid.

Some key switches have more than on set of contacts, so you may have to trace out lights, horn, battery meter and other accessories separately.

Not shown is the Aux. contact that is located in the Plug at the end of the Charger's output cable that plugs into the Cart's charger receptacle.

JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #22
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

More times than not it will be that reed switch. But I have had a bad key switch. It is just a switch so you can "hot wire" it, to be "on" all the time.
Same goes for the reed switch, it can be "hot wired" and bypassed.
fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #23
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishb8 View Post
More times than not it will be that reed switch. But I have had a bad key switch. It is just a switch so you can "hot wire" it, to be "on" all the time.
Same goes for the reed switch, it can be "hot wired" and bypassed.
Yes those are switches and can be tested by tying the circuit together but please don't leave them that way. The reed switch maybe but the main key on-off is what keeps the cart from taking off when someone hits the pedal. A young child "playing" has the possibility of hurting themselves and/or a lot of others. Remember this is 1000lb wheeled vehicle with lots of umph.

My 2 cents
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #24
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Very true. My 7 year old daughter took off with mine still on the charger almost hurt her freind.
Be careful.
fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My daughter was almost run over last summer by someone who had removed their reverse buzzer. She was standing behind him when he flipped the switch, stepped on the gas but never looked behind him. Put her on the ground put no major injuries. That is why I never completely disconnect mine, I just muffle them.

Have fun people but be safe around the kids..

Adults on the other hand. We just won't mention some of those trail rides at CAW..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishb8 View Post
Very true. My 7 year old daughter took off with mine still on the charger almost hurt her freind.
Be careful.
Yeah, the infamous Reed switch has its good points and its bad points.

If you've got kids roaming around, it might be a good idea to wire in a manual "Kill-Switch" under the seat, or use the Reed switch as designed and rig up a bypass switch for it so you can get home if it decides to fail while you're in the middle of nowhere.

I routinely run the charger cable through the steering wheel, but that doesn't prevent a kid from trying to drive away with it, so I toggle the Run/Tow switch to Tow when the grandkids visit. (Which doesn't apply to series carts)
Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #27
Powerstrokemiami
Not Yet Wild

With key off, the red cable has no power. With key on the red cable has power when you accelerate. Now what? What does that mean? Does that mean all is good with ignition switch? Now what?
Powerstrokemiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #28
Powerstrokemiami
Not Yet Wild

BTW, I do get 38 volts at red cable that goes from charger to micro switch and black cable from charger. Now what?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstrokemiami View Post
With key off, the red cable has no power. With key on the red cable has power when you accelerate. Now what? What does that mean? Does that mean all is good with ignition switch? Now what?
Which Red Cable?
Where is your Negative DMM lead connected?

Let's start over.

With the battery charger disconnected from cart, key on, F&R control in either F or R, and accelerator pressed, do you hear the Solenoid clunk?

If not, attach your DMM's Neg. lead to BL- on battery pack and leave it there.
With your DMM's Posative lead, measure voltage on the small white wire coming out of the charger receptacle. It should be 38V (or whatever the battery pack voltage is)

If not, temporarily jumper BL+ from, the battery pack to the Red wire that connects to the white wire coming out of the charger receptacle and try pushing the pedal again.

If the solenoid still doesn't clunk, more troubleshooting will be required, but try this first and let us know what happens.

oop[s you posted more info, I'll be back in a couple moments.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #30
Powerstrokemiami
Not Yet Wild

I do hear clicking when I press down accelerator.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO