lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default LED Headlights....

Has anyone successfully used LED universal fog lights for headlights ??? I was thinking about putting a pair on my cart but not sure about their effectiveness (how many watts is enough?). Also, I was thinking that I might wire them together in series across my 36 volt battery pack to eliminate the hassel of tapping/unbalancing the battery pack. I have seen some LED ratings that show the operating voltage range to be 12-18 volts each, so that would work. I'm sure this must have been discussed before but couldn't get any "hits" on a search. I am currently looking a pair on E-bay and have questioned the seller as to suitability. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: LED Headlights....

They appear to put out good lighting from a visual appearance but don't light the road very well.
LED's are generally more suited for flood lighting than driving lights and they vary greatly in their output.
If you choose LED's you can wire these directly to your battery pack using 2 of your 6v batteries as there is virtually no amperage drawn with these so pack imbalance is moot.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

I have seen a cart in my neighborhood with leds. They look bright but don't light the road very well. It depends on what light you get how bright they are, though. Don't be fooled by battery ratings. Even though it says one is 6 volts, good batteries are 6.3-6.4 volts, so you would overload the lights on full voltage. If the batteries read 6 volts after a charge they are beyond dead.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a set that are 3" in diameter and have 15 leds in each lamp. They are mediocre as far as what you would want for a headlamp. I am going to use them, but as taillights. They will fit perfectly into those standard round taillight housings that are used on trailers. I've got a couple of those that the socket has rusted out of, but the housing and lens are good. I'm going to just get 36V H3 bulbs for my original headlamps. That'll do me fine until I can get a voltage converter. I'll run the taillights from a 12V tap on my batteries for now. The leds hardly draw any power. I also don't use my cart at night much at all anyway, so an hour charge with the 12V charger on that one battery should keep it balanced with the others.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
I'm going to just get 36V H3 bulbs for my original headlamps.
Good luck with that. Let us know if you find them.....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Good luck with that. Let us know if you find them.....
Easy to find, just not at Napa, AZ etc: http://www.bulbs.com/espec.aspx?ID=12335
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had them on my Marathon. Like the others said, they work, but their not terribly bright. Of course, your only driving a golf cart that does maybe 20 mph, not a car doing 70 mph. so you don't really need to light up the road as much.

I have incandescents on my TXT now. Their bright as hell. Cars will bright me if I have the little ones on the bumper on. But even at 30+ mph, the lights will light up way more road than I really need.

As for hooking them up to a sparky, can't help you there.

Good luck.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Easy to find, just not at Napa, AZ etc: http://www.bulbs.com/espec.aspx?ID=12335
They used to be available at " Tee Time ", who are just down the road from me. They don't cost any more than the 12V ones, either. They're all over online, but then you've got shipping.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
I learn something new here everyday! Thanx, Doug!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
I learn something new here everyday! Thanx, Doug!
As far behind as I am I really need to pick it up to learning 2 or 3 new things every day. I'd never even heard of a 36v halogen bulb before this thread.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO