lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
bartmann
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery Solution

first ... huge thanks for all the help. Ive learned alot already.

equalizing or rejuvenating < thats what im trying to do first. after that just a normal charge.

I cant beleave the batts are 6 years old and sat for 3-4 years with ZERO charging in a heated garage and there comming back to life.

I might just pawn/sell the thing off and buy a gas cart... this battery stuff is a pain ....lol

just ordered the charger end and handle ... ... these cart is getting spendy quick lol......
bartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
bartmann
Not Yet Wild

10hrs on charger and my packs at 44 volts .. bubbling good... and some burping ...lol .....

my amp gauge is at about 1or2 just about to the green/done setting

does that seem normal ? should I leave it charge longer ?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmann View Post
10hrs on charger and my packs at 44 volts .. bubbling good... and some burping ...lol .....

my amp gauge is at about 1or2 just about to the green/done setting

does that seem normal ? should I leave it charge longer ?
Bubbling okay, burping not so good. Bubbling means the water (H2O) in the electrolyte is decomposing into its component parts, Hydrogen and Oxygen, and those gasses are rising to the surface and escaping into the atmosphere. That creates an explosive atmosphere around the batteries, but it is a normal part of charging lead-acid batteries. Burping, means the electrolyte level was too high and electrolyte is being ejected, so you are losing sulfuric acid as well a water. Be sure to put something under cart to protect floor when you clean off the batteries after charging.

The green, yellow, orange, red , purples or what ever color on the ammeter, is a graphic artist's rendition of someone else's thoughts about how many amps should be flowing when a new, but matured, battery was charged, but the flow rate dropping down to 1 or 2 Amps is a good sign.

Technically, a lead-acid battery is fully charged when the SG (Specific Gravity) of the electrolyte ceases increasing, however when the on-charge voltage ceases to increase can also be used.

You most likely already terminated the charge, so I'd measure and record the pack voltage and the individual battery voltages, discharge the pack down to 80% SoC or so and recharge fully again.
Then repeat the process again and again and again until the maximum SoC can no longer be increased.

Here are the steps in a nutshell. (Based on a manual charger)
1. Charge until on-charge voltage stops climbing. (Don't let plates get exposed or temperature to exceed 115F)
2. Let batteries rest 6 hours minimum and record voltages
3. Discharge to 80%
4. Repeat until voltages recorded in Step-2 cease to get higher.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
bartmann
Not Yet Wild

batterys sat all night and most the morning .. they read 38.2 I was hoping for better ... later today I might go run the cart for a bit and recharge.

Im pretty sure the burping was me having the water level to high.

Thanks for all the hep . Ive learned alot. hopfully the charge will last upwards of a hr per charge now... Ill let you know.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO