lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
siddarthgrewal
Not Yet Wild

Post Will this Battery Config work???

My old 6v T-105's have given up on me. My running is just around the farm about 5 to 10 miles a day. I am planning to use Sealed Industrial Grade 3x12V 100ah batteries generating 36V.

My question is will it turn the stock 2.24KW 3HP motor? If yes what distance am i looking at??

Thanx
siddarthgrewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Will this Battery Config work???

If the batteries you are thinking about using are 12V Deep Cycle sealed batteries, they'll give you less than half an hour run time at best and probably have a life expectancy measured in months rather than years because the average SoC (State of Charge) will most likely be extremely low.

If they are 12 SLI (Starting - Lights - Ignition) batteries (aka - car batteries), they probably won't get you all the way around the farm on a single charge and will probably last weeks rather than months.

Three 12V batteries will run a 36V golf cart, but how far they'll propel it depends on how many Amp-Hours they can store and how long they last before needing replacement is determined by how deeply they are routinely discharged before recharging.

The T-105 is a 225AH battery and will routine propel a golf cart, two golfers and their clubs over groomed golf cart paths for 18 holes of golf before recharging. If 36 hole days are included in the routine, the life expectancy of the batteries are reduced.

The battery suggested has 44% of the storage capacity of a T-105, so 5 miles might be iffy and 10 miles doubtful.

The key to run-time (or how far the cart will go before recharging) is Amp-Hours and two of the least expensive 6V deep cycle batteries will have more Amp-Hours than the best 12V deep cycle battery.
Granted, there are high AH 12V deep cycle batteries, but they don't fit under the seat of a golf cart too well.

Hope this helps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The battery suggested has 44% of the storage capacity of a T-105, so 5 miles might be iffy and 10 miles doubtful.

The battery suggested and the number of batteries = a huge reduction in consumable amperage (somewhere in the 50% range if my math is correct), I don't see this thing running like this either.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Quote:

The battery suggested and the number of batteries = a huge reduction in consumable amperage (somewhere in the 50% range if my math is correct), I don't see this thing running like this either.
I'm not sure if you are saying I'm being overly optimistic or overly pessimistic.

Here is my reasoning: 100 / 225 = 0.44444..., but it is going to be even lower since current draw relative the the AH of the battery is going to be over twice as high (225% in fact) on the 100AH battery than it is on the 225AH battery and the higher the relative current draw is to the storage capacity, the fewer Amp-Hours can be taken from the battery (Peukert's law).

I reviewed my work and believe it or not, I misread a chart.
So my estimated run-time is low.

A T-1275 is a 12V 150AH deep cycle battery and is rated for 70 Minutes @ 75A.
Mathematically, that would give a 12V 100AH deep cycle battery about 46 Minutes @ 75A, Peukert's law not taken into consideration.

My new guesstimate is that 10 miles might very well be possible, but you'll being using the batteries hard and discharging them deep, so they won't last very long.

@ Scotty - Thanks for keeping me on my toes.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not only is each battery smaller but there are 50% fewer of them. It is really a huge decrease in available amperage when compared to a stock cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
siddarthgrewal
Not Yet Wild

I agree its a reduction. But its not to play 18 holes ;). Thank you very much for the valuable information. I actually was skeptical if the motor would turn, after the efficiency losses. These batteries are actually deep cycle.
siddarthgrewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not a golfer either.
My cart hauls me around about 2 acres of property, visits to neighbors and runs into town mostly, but further afield at times.
How far 18 holes is varies from course to course, but from what I hear its typically 4-6 miles, driven a few hundred yards at a time, over relatively mild terrain.

If you decide to use those 12V batteries, let us know how it works out.
I'm just curious how close my guesstimate came.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO