lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
surffish
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 ez go won't move

I am new at trouble shooting my ez go. Here is a little description of what is going on. For starters it wont move. The back up beeper only comes on when the pedal is depressed with a jumper from the pos. battery, to the small hot post on the solonoid. Still won't move. Also mine is a 6 pin and not 10 pin. any body got any ideas. Thanx.....
surffish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 ez go won't move

Sounds like you've got a series cart (Series wound motor) and a bad Reed Switch.

Here is a schematic with the Solenoid activation circuit highlighted.
The Reed Switch is in the upper left and is labeled "Ignition Interlock" on the drawing.
It is located in the charger receptacle. Here's a picture with top cover off.

You need to get B+ from battery pack connected to the red wire going into the wire loom to get the cart to run.

The purpose of the Reed Switch was to disable cart so it could not be driven away with charger attached. There were so many failure issues with the Reed Switch, it was bypassed in later models.

Hope this helps. If it isn't the Reed Switch, yell and we'll troubleshoot the system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Charger receptacle with top off.jpg (71.7 KB, 10 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
surffish
Not Yet Wild

Thanx Jonnieb I will check that this A.M. and get back with you.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
surffish
Not Yet Wild

You were right about the reed switch . I bypassed that and the back up alrm workd fine now. Still won't move. When I depress the pedal the solenoid clicks but no movement. I put a jumper on the hot post of solenoid and activated it but pedal still would not move it Not sure about resistor on solenoid. could that be the problem. WOw thought I was pretty good at repairing stuff until I started with a golf cart.LOL!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by surffish View Post
You were right about the reed switch . I bypassed that and the back up alrm workd fine now. Still won't move. When I depress the pedal the solenoid clicks but no movement. I put a jumper on the hot post of solenoid and activated it but pedal still would not move it Not sure about resistor on solenoid. could that be the problem. WOw thought I was pretty good at repairing stuff until I started with a golf cart.LOL!!!
Put that jumper wire away and break out your DMM.
Seriously, a jumper wires can get you hurt. There are hundreds of Amps lurking in those cables just looking for something to vaporize.

Check all high current cables and connections for obvious faults and clean/tighten connections.

If the solenoid activates when the pedal is pushed and the cart doesn't move, the problem is in the High Current circuit.
Here's a generic drawing of the high current circuit in a series cart and a drawing showing where to connect your DVM's negative test lead for nearly all troubleshooting.

Lift the back wheel off the ground so the cart doesn't take off unexpectedly and run over you. (Jack stands under rear axles)

First, measure the battery pack voltage. A fully charged 36V battery pack is about 38.2V and for troubleshooting, it should be fully charged, or close to it.

Next move the Positive DVM lead to the controller side of the solenoid main terminals. It should read about 3-5 volts, or so, less than the pack voltage with the pedal up and full pack voltage when pedal is depressed. (solenoid closed)

The resistor across the main solenoid terminals precharges the filter capacitors in the controller and the cart will run with or without it.
There also might be a diode across the solenoid's small terminals and the cart will run with or without it.
However, without the diode and resistor, contacts in the solenoid and microswitches will wear out faster.

Next, I'd attach the DVM + lead to M- terminal on controller. It should read full pack voltage when solenoid clicks and tapers off to zero and pedal is pushed to floor.
If you don't get the pack voltage, check for opens in the F/R switch and motor.
If you get pack voltage, but it doesn't decrease to zero as pedal is pushed, the controller or throttle input to the controller is bad.

If you haven't already, download the manuals in the Sitckies. (*.pdf files)
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
These are for 2000 and up, but should be close enough.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by surffish View Post
WOw thought I was pretty good at repairing stuff until I started with a golf cart.LOL!!!
I feel your pain.
I had repaired electronic and electromechanical devices for 50+ years, and then I got a cart and had to learn a whole new way of thinking.

Basically they are arc welders feeding a motor with an insatiable thirst for Amps via a light dimmer on steroids.

Also, go here and read everything with the word battery in title. You'll save yourself some money if you treat your batteries right.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/
Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A light dimmer on steroids.... Oh no, Yurtle will be off to the HomeDepot again ....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
surffish
Not Yet Wild

thanx again JB. off to try it. Definetly know what your talking about the arc welder. Watch 1 of my neighbor lite up the nite sky. Looked like the northern lights in eastern N. Carolina!!! This an awsome site.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
surffish
Not Yet Wild

Pack voltage didn't decrease. Guess it would be throttle input or controller. Is there anythingelse I can do? Thanx, I am actually catching on, I think!!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
A light dimmer on steroids.... Oh no, Yurtle will be off to the HomeDepot again ....
No need. I have plenty of toys in my garage! I've been called a hoarder, but I actually play with my hoarded clutter, so unlike hoarders who just collect stuff, mine actually get's a lot of mileage.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO