lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Default Drum Brake Disassembly

I'm having a bit of trouble disassembling the drum brake. I feel stupid, but that's okay.

With a bit of work, I was able to remove the castellated nut and washer, but the drum does not just slide off as it does in the EZGOTV videos. Do I have to pry it? Is there something I am missing that I need to remove?

This whole thing is because of this: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...57-squeak.html

Cart is an 04 PDS.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Drum Brake Disassembly

First, make sure the hill brake is not set. In the past I have set the hill brake to get the castle nut loose and then forgot to release it before removing the drums.
If the drums do not pull off you might have to collapse the brake shoes inward with the star wheel. Move the star wheel down (counter clockwise) a few turns and see if the drum will come off. If this doesn't do it I'm sure someone with more experience will jump in with better advice.

I battled the squeaking brakes for a long time. I found that blowing every thing out after drum removal with high pressure air would fix the squeaking for about 2 weeks. Sanding the shoes and inside of the drums would last a little longer. Eventually I installed new shoes and drums and the brakes have been quiet for about 8 months now. They are a PIA but with some practice you can actually dial in the stock brakes pretty good.
If (when) they start to squeak again I have Ausco mechanical disks on the shelf ready to go.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The drum can rust onto the axle shaft. With the shoes adjusted in like the kernal said, you can use a hammer to help you remove the drum. Grab a hold of one of the studs with one hand and tap on the side of the drum with the hammer. You may have to turn the drum after a few taps and try again It's important to be pulling in tapping the same time. This gets 90% of the drums off for me. The other 10% a drum puller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys! I will give this a try!
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO