lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default F&R Switch

Is there any way I can use an F&R Switch from a 1999 EZGO TXT Electric in a 1990 EZGO Marathon electric???

Matt
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: F&R Switch

I have found an older F&R switch in my Pile of Junk. This one has 3 Micro switches. How would I hook this up???

********ONLY IF I CANT DO THE FIRST OPTION WITH THE TXT FNR SWITCH*******

http://playersgolfcars.com/index.php...oducts_id=1067
Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Anyone?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Well ....... the F&R in the TXT is basically the same as the one in the Marathon...
I'm not terribly surprised that things are starting to fail. Your low voltage operation is creating a higher than normal amperage draw. More amps equal more heat.
The stock F&R you linked to will work, the question will be for how long?
Hope this helps.
Keep us posted.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I understand what your saying with the Heat and that may have been a big part of the problem. But I think part of the reason the wires were getting hot is I was using 6 Gage, original 1990,Falling apart wires. Also, I noticed when I first got the Cart running before it started getting hot that the 4 Terminals on the F&R Switch Were already loose creating more heat. Each wire would bolt on to the 4 Terminals just fine and they would be nice and tight, But the Actual 4 Bolts in the F&R Switch were loose. So, I am going to get 4 New 4 Gage cables for the F&R Switch, I am going to use my (Extra, Working) F&R switch from my 1999 EZGO TXT. So what happened was the wires were getting very hot due to the Bolts (Coming from the inside) of the F&R Switch have been loose ever since I first got it running but I figured it would be Fine so I did not bother Tightening them (Mistake).Because I did not tighten them it created heat and the wires were getting hot and I didn't know. So yesterday I went to tighten the Top and Bottom bolt of the F&R Switch (The Hot Ones) and they broke off with very little force to the Wrench. (The Heat Killed them because I didn't tighten them in the first place. The Golf Cart ran great for Weeks. Used it every day since I fixed it until Yesterday and it Got me From Point A to B just fine. So I think heat was defiantly a factor but (I don't think Low Voltage caused 100% of it.)

I will change the F&R switch with new 4 Gauge Cables and See how It Runs and I will Update When The Job is Complete. But Hey, I got some use out of 22Yr Old 6 Gage Cables and a 10Yr old F&R Switch. :I

Well see what Happens, Have fun with your Projects,

Thanks,

Matt
Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Glad I could help.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post Re: F&R Switch

Your always very Helpful.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Scotty, Do you think this symptoms I described with the 4 Loose Bolts Inside the F&R Switch could have caused this?

Thank You, My Uncles Workers for his Farm are coming in 10 Days and they will need this Cart.

Matt
Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

ANY loose connection in the amperage delivery system will do damage in short order.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post Re: F&R Switch

OK, That must have been it Then.

Lesson Learned, Make sure everything is Tight.

I hope my mistakes help other people before they end up like me.

Thanks Scotty.

I'll keep you posted
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO