lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Telg8n
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage Reducer Problem

I have upgraded my EZGO TXT to 48 volts. I have a 3 position key switch. I also have a 25 amp voltage reducer to run my 12 volt accessories. The accessories will be a charger receptacle and light kit. I have the reducer wired from the L spade on the switch to the input side of the voltage reducer. I have the negative on the input side of the reducer connected to the negative of the battery pack. I then have the positive output connected to a fuse block and the negative output side connected to a grounding terminal. I have looked at Scotty B's wiring diagram for this and believe I have connected everything accordingly.

Here is my dilema. When the key is in the 2nd position and no accessories on I get a reading of 12.7 volts at my positive fuse block and ground terminal. However, as soon as I turn on my headlights or plug something into my accessory receptacle, my voltage at the positive fuse block and grounding terminal drops to around 2.0 to 2.5 volts. My lights won't come on nor anythig plugged into my receptacle. Can anyone help me out with a suggestion? Is my voltage reducer bad? Any help is very much appreciated.
Telg8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage Reducer Problem

Your connections seem fine unless the reducer has a remote circuit you haven't identified. Is this a 48 or 36v reducer? What happens when you switch to position 3? Is position 3 the position you actually want to turn on your reducer? If all is good at position 3 I'd claim your switch is bad, but what kind of switch do you have? Your voltage reducer should either be getting supplied voltage from the switch or nothing, so I think your reducer is fine and would want to investigate your switch more. That is, unless this also happens at position 3. Hope this help, maybe someone else with more specific knowledge will chime in.

GL
Shon
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

One more thought, if the power to your switch is still only selecting 36v off of your pack then your reducer is going to putter if it's a 46v reducer
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Move your key switch connection from 'L' to 'I' and see if this fixes it?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Telg8n
Not Yet Wild

I was wrong in my original post. All of this happens at position 3. I have a digital volt meter that I have wired that comes on at position 2. Scotty do you still suggest switching the L and I.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NOoo. Don't switch them!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Telg8n
Not Yet Wild

No problem, I did not switch them. I think I have everything wired correctly. For some reason I'm getting the drop in voltage when my accessories are turned on.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What wire from the reducer is connected to the L terminal on the light switch?
Be specific, give function and polarity.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
Telg8n
Not Yet Wild

I think I figured it out. I had some help from my trusty brother-in-law connecting some of these accessories. Upon re-checking the wiring he had connected the ground from the input side of the reducer to a random negative post battery in the series. To be exact it was the 3rd battery in the series. I moved this connection to the last battery negative in the series and everything lights up as it should now. When I turn the key switch to position 3 my headlights come on and my accessory plug works like a champ. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot Scotty and Shon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO