lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Nutterbug
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor connections, insulation? Input please?

I have an EZGO TXT Series cart, converted it to 48volts, upgraded cables and FNR. I've upgraded to a 500 amp Alltrax controller and heavy duty solenoid. I am changing the motor next week, hopefully. I have a question about the motor connections. Once I get them tight, should I seal them with something? Rubber coating? something to keep them from shorting across in mud or water? Tell me if I'm wrong, but with the water as a conductor, wouldn't it short across the motor in deep mud?

On a seperate note, I have been very careful with my cart when I had a stock controller, the alltrax is supposed to be waterproof, how much mud or water can you get into and still not hurt the cart?

thanks for all your help guys!
Nutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Motor connections, insulation? Input please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
I have an EZGO TXT Series cart, converted it to 48volts, upgraded cables and FNR. I've upgraded to a 500 amp Alltrax controller and heavy duty solenoid. I am changing the motor next week, hopefully. I have a question about the motor connections. Once I get them tight, should I seal them with something? Rubber coating? something to keep them from shorting across in mud or water? Tell me if I'm wrong, but with the water as a conductor, wouldn't it short across the motor in deep mud?

On a seperate note, I have been very careful with my cart when I had a stock controller, the alltrax is supposed to be waterproof, how much mud or water can you get into and still not hurt the cart?

thanks for all your help guys!
I coat my motor connections with terminal dressing. I have never observed the dreaded green powder on dressed motor terminals, so I can say it works. As for mud and water possibly bridging those terminal circuits I have never heard of it happening. Series carts are pretty robust for wet conditions (as long as the control circuits remain intact), and the overall disabler would likely be the ITS and/or F/R micros. If I were building an offroad series EZ-Go I would secure extra micros in a container inside the battery bay. The Alltrax is indeed waterproof, so no worries there. The HD solenoid should be also.

Got some pix of your buggy?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Nutterbug
Not Yet Wild

Can't get the pics to load? I'll try again later.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
I coat my motor connections with terminal dressing.
What's terminal dressing? I just use vaseline, but that requires reapplication, and the stuff sucks up dust and dirt.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
What's terminal dressing? I just use vaseline, but that requires reapplication, and the stuff sucks up dust and dirt.
Battery Terminal Protectant is an aerosol coating you apply to the lugs. It's usually red in color and dries making a protective layer on the surfaces so corrosion cannot start. I like to spray it into its own cap and apply it with a small brush so I can get under the lugs too. It makes for a cleaner application (no overspray).
Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
shaferz
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
I like to spray it into its own cap and apply it with a small brush so I can get under the lugs too. It makes for a cleaner application (no overspray).

That is an awesome tip for not only golf cart owners, but for anybody who likes to tinker in their 'free' time. thanks!
shaferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

No problem. That's why we're here.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I spray protectant on the battery terminals and slather the motor connection with dielectric grease. I just replaced my stock motor with an 8hp. After wiping away about a year and a half's worth of grime, everything was bright and shiny underneath. Don't be shy with it, cover anything exposed nice and heavy!

Last edited by kab69440; 04-20-2012 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: misspelled "dielelectric"... sheesh...
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Nutterbug
Not Yet Wild

Will do, I'm about to change my stock motor to 8.0 hp D and D motor. Which motor did you go with?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine is also a D&D. I need a mate for it so I can install it on my front axle.

Last edited by kab69440; 04-20-2012 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: wrong pic link
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO