lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
boy09
Not Yet Wild

Default Possible bad MCOR on 2008 Precedent

I'll start by saying my cart still has its original batteries, which are probably on their last leg, if not past that point already. The bigger problem is that the the cart does not move at all, forward or reverse. I took my cart in to the local cart shop to have someone look at it. He told me that the batteries should definitely be replaced, and that it was most likely that the MCOR was also bad.

He told me that 4 new batteries would cost $200ea + tax + labor, which doesn't seem horrible after researching battery prices on the internet. He then went on to explain a little bit about MCOR 1, MCOR 2, and MCOR 4, and pedal groups, and how my cart most likely had an MCOR 1 and would have be replaced with an MCOR 4, which would also require a conversion kit (I didn't understand too much when he was explaining it to me over the phone, but i've read up on it some on this forum and have a little better understanding of it now).

He then told me replacing the MCOR, with conversion kits and everything, could end up running as much as $500 (which seemed crazy high to me), but he wouldn't be able to tell exactly what all needs to be done until new batteries are installed.

I guess my question is, what would would you do in this situation? Is it worth it to just let him loose and fix everything for ~$1300, or possibly more? I'm leaning toward either doing everything myself (although I don't really know where to get batteries), or getting him to change out the batteries and trying to tackle replacing the MCOR myself to save some money.

Any help would be appreciated
boy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Possible bad MCOR on 2008 Precedent

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy09 View Post
I'll start by saying my cart still has its original batteries, which are probably on their last leg, if not past that point already. The bigger problem is that the the cart does not move at all, forward or reverse. I took my cart in to the local cart shop to have someone look at it. He told me that the batteries should definitely be replaced, and that it was most likely that the MCOR was also bad.

He told me that 4 new batteries would cost $200ea + tax + labor, which doesn't seem horrible after researching battery prices on the internet. He then went on to explain a little bit about MCOR 1, MCOR 2, and MCOR 4, and pedal groups, and how my cart most likely had an MCOR 1 and would have be replaced with an MCOR 4, which would also require a conversion kit (I didn't understand too much when he was explaining it to me over the phone, but i've read up on it some on this forum and have a little better understanding of it now).

He then told me replacing the MCOR, with conversion kits and everything, could end up running as much as $500 (which seemed crazy high to me), but he wouldn't be able to tell exactly what all needs to be done until new batteries are installed.

I guess my question is, what would would you do in this situation? Is it worth it to just let him loose and fix everything for ~$1300, or possibly more? I'm leaning toward either doing everything myself (although I don't really know where to get batteries), or getting him to change out the batteries and trying to tackle replacing the MCOR myself to save some money.

Any help would be appreciated
Do some searching here. There have been many discussions about misleading info about replacement MCORs. Check TahoeDawg's posts. He has the straight scoop on them. He will probably chime in, but you can also look at posts by him.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you are mechanically inclined, changing the mcor is very simple. I would suggest trying that yourself.

Batteries are also simple, just heavy. Make sure you get deep cycle golf cart batteries.

If you are on a budget, you can get golf cart batteries at sams club. 200.00 per battery sounds high to me.

I install batteries for a living, and I charge 756.00 out the door for 12 volt installation. that includes tax and installation.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
boy09
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
If you are mechanically inclined, changing the mcor is very simple. I would suggest trying that yourself.

Batteries are also simple, just heavy. Make sure you get deep cycle golf cart batteries.

If you are on a budget, you can get golf cart batteries at sams club. 200.00 per battery sounds high to me.

I install batteries for a living, and I charge 756.00 out the door for 12 volt installation. that includes tax and installation.
Good to know about the price of batteries. I'll check out Sam's the next time i'm in that area (closest one is ~30 miles away). Been looking at Sam's online and can't find any 12V's available, only 6V and 8V. Maybe that's a sign I should go ahead and make the 4x12V to 6x8V conversion...

I'm not too intimidated about doing any of the work myself. I guess I'll get my cart back from the shop and replace the batteries myself, then work on getting the MCOR issue sorted out.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

yes, get the batteries first. That may be your only issue.

Out here in the desert, Sams and Cosco , both sell golf cart batteries. But Coscos cart batteries are junk, maybe you get 2 years out of them, here.

Sams are Energizer batteries, and you get about 4 years out of them, again here in the desert.

But all the cart work is pretty easy and fun. Especially with the wealth of info and quality people here on this forum.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you have the later model 2008 cart you should convert to 6 8v batteries, it may be as simple as removing a tray and getting the jumpers.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
boy09
Not Yet Wild

Got bored and made a trip over to Sam's. They only carry 6 and 8 volt batteries. 8 volt batteries were only $100 each so I'll probably explore that option next. Guess I need to call tomorrow and get my cart back from the shop
Old 03-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

read this,

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...2-6-8volt.html
Old 03-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
boy09
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
So it sounds like it's a good sign that my tow/run switch is at the back and there is no divider in the battery bucket.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Mine too, that is great news congrats, I'd highly recommend the upgrade if your other batteries are a few years old, you said original, 2008? I'd replace them and see what happens.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car