lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
thibble
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 DS 48V, took it from running to non overnight

Inherited cart, had it shipped from FL to NC, Interstate batteries about 4 years old but cart had hardly been used for 3 of those. Let it sit for about 8 months (charging and topping), then two months of no charge.

Last week, low green on dash gauge, no movement with pedal. Checked water all were good, charged overnight, cart would 'rumble' and try to move.

Pack volts a little over 46 with charger disconnected. Tested batteries, all were 8ish (some high, some low), except one down way low.

---here I broke the rules, fully knowing the advice on the subject, and replaced the one battery. Charged overnight, cart took off and ran well, drove up a fairly steep ramp into my trailer and carried to my other property, drove around for awhile, then parked and put on charger.

Next weekend try to move cart, nothing but a slight rumble from the motor. 54 pack voltage with charger on, drops to 50 overnight, but cart won't go. With charger on 3 batteries are low to mid 9 volts, 3 are mid 8s.

State of charge is in white (past green), hit go and it drops far but still in green.

Understanding I broke a rule by replacing one batt, am I just looking for a battery issue or have I possibly encountered a controller issue?

Thanks!

Eric
thibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 99 DS 48V, took it from running to non overnight

i would test each battery after a full charge and 8 hours rest , then see what volts you have if possible load test batteries also
below is a good chart to show state of charge

Old 04-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
thibble
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I'll do specific gravity this afternoon when UPS man shows up with my new eyedropper.

It really acts like the brakes are on, this model doesn't have a tow/run, and it's the lever on the panel below the seat type. I have the feeling it'll be displacing the garage queen soon so I can get the body off and really troubleshoot.

Hopefully the specific gravity will find a stinker or two.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
thibble
Not Yet Wild

Answering myself.

8 hours after charge, multiple cells wouldn't even float the stick in the hydrometer.

I bought the rest of the set of batteries and installing tonight, thought I could get away cheap, but all I'm into the cart was shipping from Florida so I suppose a set of batteries is a cheap investment.

Assuming it performs well, I need a lift kit and tires/wheels to get around the farm with it, pretty rough around here.

-eric
Old 04-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
thibble
Not Yet Wild

Default New batteries, barely moves was: 99 DS 48V, took it from running to non overnight

Running post to myself :). New batts, left them to charge overnight, hopped in this morning and after about 20feet, at a very mild up grade, the cart started lugging and eventually stopped.

Pushed it over the grade, it ran unenthusiastically on the flat, barrelled down the downgrade.

Overall pack and individual batteries still had acceptable voltage by the chart.

Cables are recent #4s, controller and motor are original.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New batteries, barely moves was: 99 DS 48V, took it from running to non overnigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibble View Post
Running post to myself :). New batts, left them to charge overnight, hopped in this morning and after about 20feet, at a very mild up grade, the cart started lugging and eventually stopped.

Pushed it over the grade, it ran unenthusiastically on the flat, barrelled down the downgrade.

Overall pack and individual batteries still had acceptable voltage by the chart.

Cables are recent #4s, controller and motor are original.
. . . have to ask the obvious question . . . being that you recently replaced the cables, are you sure everything is connected properly? . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
thibble
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New batteries, barely moves was: 99 DS 48V, took it from running to non overnigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . have to ask the obvious question . . . being that you recently replaced the cables, are you sure everything is connected properly? . . .

Fair question Steve. Yeh, bein an anal retired Submariner I did cable by cable and tested each new cable before replacing :).

When I did the battery replacement I did the series check, and also washed down the frame and drip trays with baking soda solution. Pack voltage was 51 when I pulled the charger off this AM, still 49 something after not wanting to move the cart and the installed charge gauge (simple red/green/white) was almost into white. Full pedal drops it way down so for a poor mans load test, seems something is sucking juice. I've got a scottyb gauge on the way.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
crash test dummy

any time you put in new batteries you need to FULLY charge them ... plug them in untill charger shuts off (up to 16~20hrs)

at 49v you are way under full charge

plug it in let it charge till charger shuts off !!!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
thibble
Not Yet Wild

51.5 today with charger disconnected. Don't know when charger shut down, it was done when church let out though.

It really perc'd 'em, pushed acid out of them.

Cart still barely moves. Slips and jerks on any kind of incline at all than stops.

I'm guessing it's at the point where I should toss it in the toy hauler and let a pro look it, I don't have a way to test the motor draw. Assuming if the motor is trying then the controller must be okay.

=eric
Old 04-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
thibble
Not Yet Wild

If anyone was wondering, it was the controller. Swapped in another stock controller from a friends cart and mine took off like a rocket.

I'ma get a upgrade kit, probably one of Scotty Bs so I have more torque, and do the upgraded f/r switch.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car