lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
cooper
Not Yet Wild

Default club car 36 volt question with old style setup (big resister and solenoid's)

Recently was given a 36 volt club car. The battery setup was as follows. Two 8 volt and four 6 volt batteries. As can imagine all four volt batteries are now totaly worn out. Mistakingly we ordered four 8 volt batteries my question is can we run five 8 bolt batteries temporary until convert to a new system or can we run all six 8 bolt batteries with the 36 volt setup. Thanks in advance!
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: club car 36 volt question with old style setup (big resister and solenoid's)

You CAN run 6 8 volt batteries in that 36 volt cart, but the solenoids and especially the resistors, will not like it and won't last long. Another problem will be that you need a 48 volt charger, and likely the cart came with a 36 volt one.

Just to be clear - this cart has 5 solenoids behind the batteries?
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
cooper
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: club car 36 volt question with old style setup (big resister and solenoid's)

It does have five solenoid's. I do have a 48 volt charger that was given to me along with the 36 volt charger how about running just five batteries at eight volts each
Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Herein lies the problem: 48 volts will work beautifully with your 36 volt motor - guys do it all the time and love the results. 48 volts against the old and worn solenoids and resistors, however, will soon be a recipe for a welded open solenoid (NOT fun OR safe) or a burnt in two resistor. I recommend against running the 48 volt pack with the stock components. It's a little pricey, but it pays to do things right, so check out cartsunlimited.net and pm or call or email scottyb and tell him you want to convert your 36 volt cart to 48 volt solid state. That's your best bet, he's a cart genius and a site sponsor, and he has the best quality and priced stuff you'll find.

EDIT: the 40 volt setup will give you the same problems, just not as quickly due to the voltage being slightly less. Plus you're not gonna have a way to charge them properly.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
crash test dummy

also you wont be able to charge the 40 v
if you don't want to upgrade , then try working a deal where you got the 8 volt batteries
or sell them and get the 6 6v batteries
also sell the 48v charger
Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
cooper
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. I will contact Scott and upgrade to the new 48v system. Thanks for the input !!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will contact Scott and upgrade to the new 48v system. Thanks for the input !!
Fair warning: that's the way lots of folks go and they love it, but it will be a little costly. You'll need a controller, HD solenoid, HD FNR switch, throttle pot box, and upgraded heavier cables. Basically ALL new components, you're left with a new pretty wicked cart in an old shell that you can customize to taste. But it can be expensive (did I mention that already? )

Doing what Crash said and working out a trade for a set of 6 6 volt batteries and selling the 48 volt charger will possibly cost nothing, maybe make you money! Only downside is you'll be left with an all stock cart (not a completely bad thing at all). It all depends, as usual, on budget and what you want the cart to do.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #8
cooper
Not Yet Wild

Probably going to do the upgrade and leave it looking old and stock...I'll have a neighborhood sleeper cart
Old 05-08-2014, 03:47 AM   #9
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Probably going to do the upgrade and leave it looking old and stock...I'll have a neighborhood sleeper cart
Fair warning from me too, running a 36 Volt motor on 48 Volts will increase the speed of the cart. Please make sure the front suspension components are in good shape so that the cart doesn't get squirrely on you at top speed.

I did the conversion myself and found out real quick that the bushings needed replaced.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36 volt, club car, old style solonoide, resister car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car