lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default charger question

If I have an unknown draw on batteries how far down will the charger allow batteries to drop before kicking back in or will it not? My wife is having issues with weak batteries even though the cart was plugged in. When I had her check the volt meter and she was seeing 6 to 10 volts on the 48/12 reducer even with the cart key switch turned off.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: charger question

Let me add a little more history and info...

This cart is an 2011 Excel that we just bought refurbished through King of Carts so I would have to believe that the batteries are also from an 11 model year. We've only had the cart less than 4 weeks in all.

On the day that we brought it home we quickly realized that the batteries were way down around 46 volts to which after receiving a long charge they seemed to be doing ok the next day with voltage at rest near to 50 / 51 volts; but I was only home for a week with the cart and not enough time to learn its behavior.

I did install a 20 amp voltage 48/12 reducer that I bought from an eBay vendor (thing is pinkish) that is triggered on/off with the key switch. I've also got a voltage meter wired into a DPDT toggle switch so that I may watch either battery voltage or reducer voltage and previous to me going to work it surely seemed as though the reduced voltage side of the switch that the battery meter was dead/blank as expected. Thus I suspect that the reducer is at the heart of the issue.

Fast forward to yesterday whereas the wife claims that the cart all but left her on the side of the road acting all weak and jerky in operation. She said that she had the cart plugged in for the last 4 or 5 days but she did not look at battery voltage before heading out to check on our boat down in the marina.

Trying to get her to look at a few things late last night she tells me that it has been plugged into the charger and that it has turned off and the cart voltage is now at 50.3 which does seem sort of low considering that it has just been on the charger but ok.

I get her to make sure that the cart key is off and then switch to read the reduced voltage to which she did 3 times for me last night and it read anywhere from 10 to 6 volts. It should be dead when the key is off correct?

I told her to unplug then replug the charger and then reread the battery voltage and with the charger on/humming she said it was reading 55.X volts and that we would look at over the phone in the morning.

Is it considered ok to leave the LED voltage meters powered up 24/7 since their draw is so little? I bought mine from Bayou Buggies and it looks just about like every other one I've seen here on the forum.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
dave*m
Not Yet Wild

be carefull of some reducers as they will always draw power.I had a madjax one that if not carefull it would draw power all the time.Charger should kick out around 64 volts and then the batteries will drop to around 50-52 volts depending on the condition of the batteries.Excell cars will always draw power even when just sitting still in the run or tow position.The controller is set up to always look for a signal for the visage or guardian system.This why if the car sits for an extended period of time the batteries will be dead.
dave*m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave*m View Post
be carefull of some reducers as they will always draw power.I had a madjax one that if not carefull it would draw power all the time.Charger should kick out around 64 volts and then the batteries will drop to around 50-52 volts depending on the condition of the batteries.Excell cars will always draw power even when just sitting still in the run or tow position.The controller is set up to always look for a signal for the visage or guardian system.This why if the car sits for an extended period of time the batteries will be dead.
This is good info to know even if the info is not what I would like to hear.... LOL

Sounds like I'm going to need to install a DPDT toggle to cut the power supply to the voltage reducer to keep it powered down unless WE decide it is needed...

Stinks in general just hearing that Excels have a parasitic draw that hurts the battery life.

I also have to wonder if the wife might have just thought that she had the cart plugged in previously as once I even goofed up and tried to plug in upside down and it took me a moment to figure out what I was doing wrong. I love my wife but she is a silly old girl who can have even a light bulb give her a hard time.....
Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Starting to really look like a battery issue as while it will take a charge and turn off it sure settles down 50.0 VDC over the course of 12 hours or so... Only had the cart since the 11th of June so I'm talking with the re builder/seller about some warranty action here....
Old 07-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Now battery questions

Really disappointed that this refurb cart is showing signs of having bad batteries or at the least bad battery...

What is the general life expectancy of the batteries that come stock on CC carts? These are likely 2011 batteries.

Wife is now unwilling to use the cart as she is watching the voltage meter for me and after sitting about two days the voltage is down to 49.2 VDC even after the charger shuts down the voltage within hours is only 49.9 to 50.0 volts.

From what I've read it is unwise to mix a new battery into the used lot correct?

I'm still waiting on the seller to comment as to offering some warranty on the batteries. I should have known something was up when the battery voltage was down to 42 volts on the day of delivery after only a few minutes of joy riding.

Not a good start!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
crash test dummy

did you check the water in each battery ?
Old 07-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm not home till next week. But will check level and SG first thing.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:10 AM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
did you check the water in each battery ?
That's the frustrating part in that we just brought the cart home from the shipper on the 11th of June and I've been at work since the 18th so the cart is acting up on my wife and she only uses it for at best 15 minutes every 4 or 5 days to check on our boat in the marina. For the amount of money we are expected to pay for a refurbished cart I should not have to lift a finger on this thing for months, but on delivery I discovered that the turn signals that I had installed and the batteries were highly discharged. So here I am asking questions till I can get home whereas I'll check voltage, water and SG as soon as I can...
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
For the amount of money we are expected to pay for a refurbished cart I should not have to lift a finger on this thing for months, ..
WRONG ..you need to do daily, weekly, monthly,and yearly maintenance on your cart

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car