lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
ezryder
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Cart loses power fast

I have a 36v 1992 CC (Regen I think) which loses power within minutes of starting out. I just installed 6 new Energizer batteries and new cables (in series POS->NEG->POS etc.) The charger indicated it was fully charged but after driving only a short distance, the cart would lose power fast until it would hardly move. I thought it strange that it only took 1-2 hrs to charge. Tested the batteries and they all read 6.34 - 6.36 volts. I ran the cart, it went about 100' then up a hill and about halfway up the hill it began losing steam. By the time I reached the top of the hill, it was REAL slow, finally just crawling, like it was ready to die completely. Then it would barely move at all. I then tested the batteries again and they all read from 6.27 - 6.28.

Next, I recharged the cart overnight again. I ran a load test with the cart jacked up (it died fast as expected) but the voltage only dropped about .02 to .05 volts on each battery - from about 6.29 volts to 6.27 volts, I think the lowest was 6.24. Is this normal? After charging and prior to the test, all were right at 6.40 volts. This doesn't seem like a big drop so why is the cart so weak?

I also tested the batteries after charging and 4 of them had a specific gravity of 1.250 (top of "fair") one was 1.275 (bottom of "good) and one had one cell between 1.250 and 1.275, one @ 1.250 and one @ 1.275 according to my tester.

So what does all this mean? Do I have a battery problem or is it something else?
ezryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
ezryder
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Cart loses power fast

oops, not a regen.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Odd, new batteries and SG readings are within normal....Maybe you have the charger wires hooked up wrong and only 5 batteries are in the loop? What is the pack voltage. Is this a controller cart or do you have a bank of resistors behind the batteries?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
ezryder
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm new to this so please bear with me...

a) How do I know if the charger wires are hooked up correctly?
b) How do I check the pack voltage?
c) What is a controller cart and how do I know if I have one? What does this bank of resistors look like?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum ezryder...................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
timbo2
Getting Wild

They Did Make Few 36 Volt Clubs With Solid State Speed Controllers But Most Of Them Were Resistor Cars If It Has A Controller On It Probubly The Controller
timbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
ezryder
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It's a controller cart. How do I test the controller?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Denny
Not Yet Wild

hi ezrider
i have the same cart with the controller its a curtis 1204-15 cost $450.00 on up you can test but its hard to do i sent mine in to FSIP in carlisle pa thay test and remanfacture the cost is $181 plus frt im waiting to here from them now their # is 1-800-333-1194
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you need the manual to test the controller right, as far as having the charging wires hooked up right follow them from the receptical to where they hook to batteries............pos 10 gage wire should go to pos of #1 battery and 10 gage neg wire should go to neg of #6 battery..........have you tested, load tested and checked cell with hydrometer?................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
ezryder
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have the manual. Charging wires are connected properly. As far as the tests, yes I have done those - please read my first post... I also hooked a battery load tester to each battery and there was very little voltage drop.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car