lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
robpertz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default power at half with new batteries

2006 ezgo 36V, just installed new Trojan 105's. 1st run out, everything was normal. Drove to 75% and charged overnight. Hopped on this morning, cart feels like half power. Used DVM, all batteries are reading over 6V. All cables are new. Removed access cover and wire brushed all connections, nuts and washers. Cart still only feels like its got half power. Controller was rebuilt last year. Nothing else has been changed. Any ideas? Thanks!
robpertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: power at half with new batteries

Just a guess, but on the FNR there is a 1/2 speed microswitch for reverse. It could be stuck closed. Simply remove the 1/2 speed wire from the controller to test, if you don't have a meter to test this.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
robpertz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Turned out to be the positive wire on the solenoid mounted to the controller was burnt. I cut out the burnt section, works fine. Should I be looking at replacing the solenoid ?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I wouldn't think so. A solenoid is simply an on/off switch. It can fail, but if a cable was partially melted, it may have limited current. Was it burned close enough to the solenoid to cause physical damage? Visible? If not, it's probably fine. Check ALL cables for damage, since they are all the same age and have probably been maintained (or abused) the same.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
robpertz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It was a 16 awg wire, burned right next to the terminal mount. There was no visible damage to the solenoid, but once I removed the controller cover it smelled like burnt electrical. Let it be? Thanks for your help!!
Old 04-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

There are two circuits in a buggy. One that carries small current, in what I call wires. The second takes higher current to the motor through what I call cables. I assumed you were talking about the latter. Wires rarely fail, unless there is corrosion or physical damage. Since your failure was in a wire, I can't understand how you were only getting 1/2 power, then by fixing the wire, the problem was solved. Remote control troubleshooting is often difficult. However, it appears your controller, throttle, and solenoid are working, so you may be fine. I'd drive limited distances for a few days, in case you need to tow it home. Even the smaller wires can smell if their insulation fails and they "burn", though usually it's the cables that cause problems.

I'd still inspect all wires and cables for nicked insulation or corrosion.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Also, unplug the plug at the controller and use contact cleaner, replug/unplug/replug a few time, since it also smelled at the controller.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
robpertz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea, I don't get it either. That's what I was looking for, a cable damaged somewhere, not a wire. I will definitely take your advice and recheck all connections. Thank you for your help! Much appreciated !!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO