lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default Rear noise when coasting squeaking hub bearing?

Hey, just checking for thoughts on what may be making this noise. It happens at all speeds, but not under power. When coasting it makes the noise. With slight acceleration pressure it stops. It sounds like something is rotating around and scratching against a fixed object (I thought is was a cotter pin scratching against a brake drum). I kind of think it may be worse when I turn left rather than turn right, but that may not be true. It does appear to be only on the right side. I did just take out the whole axle assembly for unrelated work. So I am afraid I may have messed up something since it didn't use to make that noise. I'm fairly confident with the work I did, only thought is maybe that I tightened the hubs one notch too much trying to line up castle nut. Still, noise goes away under acceleration. Thanks for any suggestions.
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
jericho
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear noise when coasting squeaking hub bearing?

Not a pro. but have you jacked it up and spun the wheel to se if it is coming from the diff. or hub erea?
jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
jericho
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

OMG...Sorry for my horrible typing.I had matto on my mindwhat i meant to say was "spun the wheel to say if the noise was coming from the diff. or hub eeeeerea"
Old 05-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

From here, that sounds like an outer axle bearing.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
jericho
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I swear I thought I heard it at my house too,somfas the old school rule is finger tight and one quarter turn with a wrench on the castle nut.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
somfas
Gone Wild

Haha, you prolly did hear it! I'll dig into it this weekend and report back. I didn't tighten it much tighter than that. I tightened it to where it was snug and then it felt like an eternity to get it past that one castle lug so the pin would fit it in. I really felt like it was too loose if I turned it back a notch. We''l see. Thanks for the replies
Old 05-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericho View Post
I swear I thought I heard it at my house too,somfas the old school rule is finger tight and one quarter turn with a wrench on the castle nut.
No - not Ezgo. The rear castle nut torque spec is 90 -140 Ft pounds! The large range of spec is to allow the installer to find the cotter pin hole without backing off. If the nut is not tightened to these specs the rear hub will fail.
Replace the bearing and seal together.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #8
somfas
Gone Wild

Just an update in case anyone reads this one day. Thanks to Scotty B's last comment, the problem is fixed now. I took the wheel and hubs off and didn't see anything strange. Put it back together and torqued it right this time. Noise is gone! Thanks all!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO