lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Microswitch wiring diagram

I have a 2007 ST480 workhorse. I have been wrestling with a throttle issue since I got the cart. I am aware that when the foot throttle is lifted the motor is to stop. I have been working on the throttle cables.as it appeared that the throttle arm on the carb was not returning all the way. I adjusted the cables and still the motor did not stop when the throttle was lifted.
I then got into the micro switch. There was a lot of sideways play in the throttle lever that would effect the cam closing the . I made a ramp that would make the cam close the micro switch and still the cart would not shut down. I purchased a new micro switch, as I had become very irate climbing under this cart several time a week.
The micro switch came and it was not the same as the one I had. called the people who had sold me the switch and inquired if they had sent me the correct switch. I had taken the part number of the ezgo website and it appeared to be correct . assured me that they had sent the correct switch even if it was orange and the switch on mine was white. The one from ezgo was also larger.
After speaking to ezgo I took a closer look at the two switches side by side and found that the posts for the four spade connectors are not in the same place.
Looking down from the top on the switch I had ,with the front of the cart to my left ,the top wires on the switch are white ,is towards the pass side of the cart and the black in on the drivers side.
Under those two are a red that is on the pass side and a green on the drivers side. This is what they call a 2 gang switch.

Sorry about the long winded description.
I have several questions. On my switch, looking down from the top towards the rear of the switch there are 2 spades coming out of the rear of the switch. The top spade is on the pass side, and the bottom spade is on the drivers side.
On the new switch it is reversed,the top spade is on the drivers side and the bottom is on the pass side.
These are the black and green wires.

I have not found a exploded wiring diagram that shows the correct positions for the wire on this switch, that might set me in the right direction.
I am thinking that the fellow that I bought the cart from may have received a incorrect part somehow by mistake, or he had someone repair the cart that was not aware that this cart has a different type of switch.
Any information would be apprieciated. If anyone has the correct wiring diagram for this switch and could help me that would be great.
I do have a repair manual but the switch is not shown with a wiring diagram.

Thanks,Reggie
reggie dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Microswitch wiring diagram

I would think that it really doesn't matter, so to speak. The switch is either open (pedal off) or closed (pedal pressed). As long as you connect the wires to the terminals and the arm actuates the switch with pedal operation, you should be good to go. If you temporarily bypass the switch and get a toggle switch then fab up a couple of leads to it, you could connect that and simulate the micros operation. This would verify that the circuit is operating properly.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks sccowboy,

Upon closer inspection I found that there appear to be two switches within this switch.
There are four terminals on this switch. One set of spades are open and one set are closed. When the pedal is pressed the open set closes and the closed set opens. Since I have had this cart, this switch has never worked correctly.I suspect it was wired incorrectly.
That is why I am attempting to find which of the four wires go where. I need to find out which wires go to the open set of spades, and which set go to the closed set when the cart is at rest.If it where just two wires it would be no issue as you inferred.
The four wires are the issue,and the placement on the switch is important.This is why I need a diagram showing the correct placement.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Have you tried identifying the terminals with a volt meter? I don't know why you have four wires but the switch applies or cuts voltage to the solenoid. Should be able to follow the wires and test to see where each goes and then connect accordingly. BLK and GRN are often ground connections. The other colors carrying power. Can you put a couple of pics up?

EDIT: I see in the parts manual that there are four wires coming in. Can you trace back to see what each goes to? I don't think it matters as much (unless theres a clearance issue) on what side the spades come out of but it does matter that the wires are going to the ones that are open or closed at the right time. Again a DVOM would help decipher that.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

sccowboy,

According to the service manual,the white and black are on one side of the switch,and the red and green are on the other.
According the the limited diagram,on one side of the switch the white wire goes to the ignition shutoff module and the black goes to ground and also ties into the key switch.This is using two separate spades on the switch.
On the other side of the switch ,the green wire goes to the key switch and the red ties into the reverse warning buzzer and also ties into a 7.5 amp fuse,also using two separate spades.
Where my questions lie are looking at the diagram I mentioned,both sides of the switch are in the open position.I know that on both the old and the new switch,only one side of the switch is open at one time.When the switch is compressed,the one side will open and the other will close.
What I need to know is which side needs to be open when the cart is at rest.
I am not a wizzbang when it comes to wiring,hence all the questions.
Thanks,Reggie
Old 12-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

The side that needs to be open at rest is the side with the fuse on it. That should cut power to the ignition system when the pedal is released. So as long as whatever side is open at rest cuts the flow of voltage to ignition, the engine should shut off.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks sccowboy,

That's what I was looking for. I have been having issues with this cart since I got it and I am taking some time to do some much needed service. I was having a lot of sideways play on the accelerator rod so I pulled down the pedal box.I found that the rear spring retainer was missing and the under housing was full of dirt and trash. The actual box that housed the micro switch was broke where the cable comes into the box and I could see that the threads on shaft were all buggered.
I think all of these issued were most of my problem, at least I hope so.
A new set of front and rear shocks,a set of king pin bushings ,a new belt ,two new throttle cables, and a host of parts for the throttle issues and I am on my way back to putting the cart back together. The last issue that I needed to address was the micro switch wiring.I thank you for that information.

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas,and have a Happy New Year.

Reggie
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO