lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Dented primary clutch cover

Hi

I'm in the United Kingdom and have been offered the chance of buying an EZGO TXT gas at a very interesting price from a fellow golf club member who is giving up playing due to having had a leg amputated. He thinks the buggy was built in 2003 to 2005 (I haven't located the identification plate yet). He bought it from a reputable golf club professional shop 2 years ago and has had it serviced twice since then by the buggy technician at the same pro shop. He has all the invoices and receipts to confirm that.

I gave it a visual checkover today and noticed that the outer cover of the primary(?) clutch (the one that slides in to tension the drive belt as engine speed is increased) looks dented and scraped, as if it's hit something hard when it's been spinning. I still need to test drive the buggy but the guy selling it assures me that it runs well.

Is this damaged cover likely to be or cause a problem?
Peter W is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dented primary clutch cover

That big black shroud is essentially a dust cover to protect the inner mechanism of the centrifugal clutch... I can't reasonably say nothing is damaged on the clutch without taking it apart, but if it performs properly I wouldn't worry to much about it.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:52 PM   #3
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't know, hard to say without seeing it, but I doubt it hit anything while spinning. My guess would be a person working on it hit it by accident. So far as causing problems, not sure, how bad is it? It will effect belt tension at the point of the dent, and to a (very possibly MUCH) lesser extent may effect balance.
I would drive it, see if it vibrates at all, and see if it runs up and down speed smoothly. Not sure what a clutch costs for one of those, but if it is bad enough, that is all that needs to be done to fix it, so you can know worst case going in, and that is a plus.
On another note, very sorry to hear about your friend, I know a guy who lost both legs above the knees to cancer. Man, you never appreciate what good health is till you don't have it!
Tom
TomStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, guys.

I've had another look at the buggy today. The reason I can't find the ID plate is that it's been removed!! There are the remains of 4 pop rivets on the left wall of the passenger glovebox area so, if that's where the ID plate had been, I think that means that the buggy is pre-2002.

The clutch cover has irregular, quite deep (an eighth to a quarter of an inch) indentations all the way round its circumference but it has a good seal with the outer clutch thrust plate. It looks like someone has given it some pretty hefty blows with a hammer

The design of clutch looks the same as the one in the photos on the 'Engine/clutch removal 295, 350' Sticky in the EZGO Gas section of this forum.

I'm due to get the ignition key to give it a test drive next week. The owner hasn't touched the buggy for 5 months so I fear it may not even start or, at least, need a battery charge.

Any further comments or advice would be most wecome. If the buggy runs well, my feeling is that it will be worth the £1250 (about US$1800) that the guy is asking for it, as it's hard to get a decent secondhand gas buggy in the UK for under £1500.
Peter W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

A good running cart in good physical shape that pulls good is about worth that... It's a normal asking price although it is sometimes sold for less... If the drive clutch is operating properly and not noisy indicating an obvious problem I would say your good to go... If your happy with the price and cart then you are good... I can say that if it's been sitting for that long, theres about a 90 percent chance it won't even turn over much less crank.. In the states here, a cart that won't run is a price negotiable cart... May work in your favor for it not to crank pricewise... After sitting that long, if it does turn over, I'm sure the gas has gone bad... Good Luck
Old 01-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Bad gas after a few months??? A buddy had a bike that sat for 10 years, I started it with the fuel in the tank.
Tom

RIT rocks, cancer sucks. sent from my S5 by tap a talk
Old 01-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Have a look at the pic. As long as the fly weights are able to open and close, you should be fine with the dent. Cosmetically ugly but functional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driveclutch.JPG (70.8 KB, 0 views)
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStark View Post
Bad gas after a few months??? A buddy had a bike that sat for 10 years, I started it with the fuel in the tank.
Tom

No comparison. Gas today and gas 10 years ago. 10 years ago they had GAS, not the crap were running in motors/carbs today
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The problem with old gas is not the gas, it WILL still burn. The problem is the varnish it leaves behind. I have a generator that I start once or twice a year. Have not put gas in it in 3 or 4 years, runs like a champ on old gas.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Not contesting that it won't crank Tom... I'm simply saying what Rib said... Gas ain't what it used to be... Just letting the guy know that it's definitely a possibility.. Today's fuel products are diluted with ethanol and are notorious for short life span and ability to clog and varnish very quickly... Not to mention the part that the ethanol attracts water and we all know what water will do to aluminum... Was just throwing it out there...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO