lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Drill into cart body

If you look at the madjax youtube video about installing lights, they use a hole saw like pictured on the bottom of the Amazon page to drill the body.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If you look at the madjax youtube video about installing lights, they use a hole saw like pictured on the bottom of the Amazon page to drill the body.
Take from a salty carpenter. Hole saws are fine and good but when drilling into a thin material it is possible to deform the pilot hole before the outer bit is through and this may allow the perimeter cutter to wander or worse Been there done that.... I have step drills cheap from HF up to about 1.25" that have none of these bad attributes. To each their own
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I guess for a 2" hole the hole saw may be the only option (better than a paddle blade drill).

If Your charger has a cigarette lighter plug, I agree with Crash that the best option is to extend the battery + and - to the dash Area and install a "power port".

You can even install some cool combo panels with USB plugs, also check out the one with the voltmeter as well on the same link below:

http://www.amazon.com/ISWEES-Cigarette-Lighter-Splitter-Charger/dp/B00RJVJJCI/ref=pd_sim_107_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Vbv957QyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0866Z0QAGTHRZPDWNS6X http://www.amazon.com/ISWEES-Cigarette-Lighter-Splitter-Charger/dp/B00RJVJJCI/ref=pd_sim_107_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Vbv957QyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0866Z0QAGTHRZPDWNS6X
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #14
rib33024

They have these. they run off the cart battery pack

http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-499...FUWCfgodlQ8Ihg

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #15
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Take from a salty carpenter. Hole saws are fine and good but when drilling into a thin material it is possible to deform the pilot hole before the outer bit is through and this may allow the perimeter cutter to wander or worse Been there done that.... I have step drills cheap from HF up to about 1.25" that have none of these bad attributes. To each their own
I don't think the cart is that thin. But if your worried about this, you have two options. Drill the pilot hole and than just put a 1/4" shaft in the saw. It will spin without cutting the pilot bigger. The other much easier option is place a 2x4 behind the material to be drilled.

The other thing about hole saws. You can mount the saw two ways. The correct way is for the saw to be drivin by the two "tangs". This makes the saw float a little. It's good for sawing, but can make the hole a little sloppy. If you mount the saw by threading it on the arbor all the way till it stops, it will make a cleaner hole. But it is a pita to get the saw off.

The issue with step drills is they move the hole a little with each step. Normally, it kind of averages out. But it is possible to get unlucky and the hole move one direction with each step. You end up with a perfect hole a1/4" off center. Usually, this is the result of not holding the drill square, but not always.

I guess every tool has its pluses and minuses.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #16
hondarider203
Gone Wild

Club Car

Use hole saw run the drill in reverse and it won't catch and tare anything up. Takes little more pressure
hondarider203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #17
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The outlet (well, I guess technically it is an inlet as I use it) didn't require anywhere near a 2" hole. It is a marine unit with a flip cover available near the boat stuff in most department stores. I put the power outlets on the dash. That one is from the automotive section and has two USB plugs along with three cigarette lighter style 12v outlets. They all work great for their intended purposes.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #18
M_U_M_P
Not Yet Wild

We drill large diameter holes into water aerators all the time, they work fine as long as your slow about it when drilling. Those are a very close match to cart bodies
M_U_M_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO