lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
fishingape
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 ezgo series cart. need second opinion on troubleshooting

so my father in law bought a 1997 ezgo txt series cart. i lifted it and turned it into a hunting buggy for him. only thing upgraded at that time was new batteries and 2 gauge cables throughout the buggy. he was riding the other day and there was a "pop" and the cart quit moving. this is the first electric cart i've worked on. i am under the impression from the forums that the solenoid should click when the accelerator is pressed but this one is clicking when the key switch is turned on. other than that everything has checked out (1 volt less on controller side of solenoid when key is off, ITS .4 to 1.7 upon pressing accel, etc.). the only other thing out of line is when i test the controller. voltage does not increase as i press accelerator with multimeter on positive (red) and negative (black) on M-. what's the best way to test the motor (i think the some labels may be missing from motor so locations would be great) pretty sure i understand how this thing works as i've worked with electronics a good bit just not carts. wanted a second opinion before i started throwing money at it. thanks
fishingape is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As far as the solenoid clicking with the key switch, that sounds like someone has either bypassed the pedal switch, or it has broken and stuck closed. Controller output should be measured between b- and m-. If everything else checks out like you say I would suspect the controller. If you are using as a hunting cart, it probably needs upgrading anyway.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 ezgo series cart. need second opinion on troubleshooting

On a series cart the solenoid should click when you press the gas not when the key is switched. You need to fix this, Check the pedal box micro switch function.

As for pop and stop... That is a big electrical failure sound. I suspect the bigger tires and hunting application have caused a controller failure. The stock control is engineered for 18" tires and golf & not much more load wise.

Connect test leads at controller B- & M-
Should read full pack voltage when pedal is pressed enough to engage solenoid ( may have to fix solenoid engagement problem first). Then reading should go down to near 0 when the pedal is depressed fully.
More T-shooting help here on my website > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/troubleshooting-.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #4
fishingape
Not Yet Wild

I'm pretty sure the solenoid only engaged before when the pedal was pressed. I figured maybe something that happened with the controller caused it to activate as soon as the key is switched on. Think I tested at B- and M- also and had voltage whenever the key was turned on but I will double check. How hard is the pedal switch to replace if it broke in the on position? Scotty B, way I see it if you are nice enough to give me the info to fix it then it's only decent to use your parts. As soon as we figure out what it is I will call you and get what we need
Old 03-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 97 ezgo series cart. need second opinion on troubleshooting

Scotty will do you right! The pedal switch is located under the floor mat. You have to remove the 2 bolts that hold on the stainless kick plates on the side so that you can roll over the floor mat. Then there will be a plate covering the ITS box. Remove that plate then the four screws to access the box. You will see the ITS and the switch. Two nuts that hold the switch in. Do not over tighten them when you put it back together.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
fishingape
Not Yet Wild

Mgray70, thanks so much for the help. I will order a switch along with the other parts. He found one he wants to buy me since I'm doing all the work on his but this like so many other things seems to be an expensive addiction. Lol.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It can get to be expensive, but fun! I've enjoyed learning about them and like to help others like I've been helped. I would check it before you order one, but if it is clicking with the key switch it almost has to be bad. The controller being bad would not have any effect on the solenoid clicking with key switch in a series cart. Although I do believe the popping noise you heard was the controller dying
Old 03-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #8
fishingape
Not Yet Wild

Mgray70, do you know what that switch is called? Only other thing I need to test is the motor itself. Scotty B, what do you think would be a decent controller/solenoid combo for this cart? I've looked on your website at the combos you have available. 23 inch tires mostly flat land and plowed fields with a few hills from time to time. He is on a budget as he has had to spend good money on building guns, night vision scopes, and thermal imager. (The primary use of this cart will be night time hog hunts)
Old 03-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

it's a micro switch and its wired in the normally open position.
I had a similar problem last week with the wife's cart which is a sepex not series, but it was the ITS lock nut had loosened up and was out of adjustment so the micro switch was in the normally closed position
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's called the pedal micro switch or throttle micro switch. Scotty should have them and he will know what you need.

Tags
controller, ezgo, series, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO