lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Wayupnortder
Not Yet Wild

Default 1993 DS Charger clicks on, hums for 2-3 seconds then quits

This is my initial post so first, I must say this is an amazing forum with a ton of information! Hopefully someone can help with this problem:
I have a 93 DS purchased two years ago and the batteries and charger are currently three years old. The cart is used at least once each week during golf season (I'm in Minnesota) and is plugged in after every use. Never any issues until last week - the cart wouldn't climb a steep hill and I had to push while my daughter drove to make the top of the hill. Drove it back to the cart garage and plugged it in. The charger turned on but only for 2 or 3 seconds and then shut off. I attempted to clean everything - the wires and connections near the fuse and charger receptacle were very corroded. After cleaning I plugged it in again with the same result. I took the entire charger receptacle assembly off, brought it home, took everything completely apart and thoroughly cleaned it. I'm heading back later this week to hook it up and am hoping it works but am not overly optimistic.

The charger is an E-Series SCR Battery Charger from Lester Electrical. I attempted to press a reset button on the front but it isn't pushed out so I'm assuming it's designed to only pop out when needed, and then you press to reset. If it's supposed to be pushed out then maybe it is a charger issue.

There are other golf carts in the garage but none like mine so I was unable to test my charger on another cart or try a different charger on my cart.

I found much info in this forum related to charging issues but the only issue where the charger turns on and hums like it's supposed to but then shuts off was apparently due to the OBC, and I don't think the 1993 DS "talks" to an OBC for charging. Please correct me if I'm wrong though-

Any suggestions or input would be much appreciated!
Wayupnortder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Wayupnortder
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1993 DS Charger clicks on, hums for 2-3 seconds then quits

More info on this:
I suspect the cart was used a few times without charging, because since the charger started humming like usual I've just walked away and assumed it was charging. Of course when you return the charger is off as expected because the batteries are supposedly fully charged. The cart will go so the batteries are still partially charged.

I've also attached a picture of the charger.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg club car charger 3.jpg (199.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I'm not sure if the 93 came with an OBC or not. I have two 93 models and neither has it.

Could have been removed before I got them. The only diagram I have is for 1994 and it does not show an OBC.

Follow the negative black wire from the battery pack. Does it go through a box before going to B- on the controller? If so, you have an OBC.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Welcome to BGW.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I suspect you don't have an OBC and there is a problem with the charger. Can you check the voltage across the pack?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

93's don't have an OBC. Do as Mooncarter asked and also get voltage readings from each battery. Cart chargers have to "see" a minimum pack voltage to run (it's a safety thing). You may be under the minimum or have a bad battery.

to BGW

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
Wayupnortder
Not Yet Wild

Great news for me in that after cleaning everything it's now charging. However, are there any explanations/any specific wires that would cause this problem and allow the charger to kick in for a few seconds and then stop? Obviously the correct connection was cleaned for this issue. I'm sure someone else will encounter this and hope this thread will answer the question. And FYI, the fuse connection screws were so corroded that even after several coatings of liquid wrench and WD-40 I still broke the plastic assembly when detaching. For now I'm using a jerry-rigged assembly (still including the fuse) and will replace when the new part is received.

Also, thanks so much to Mooncarter and tag50 for the prompt responses. You are both awesome and obviously great assets to this forum!!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You do have a crowsfoot 2 prong right? Could have been either.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
Wayupnortder
Not Yet Wild

Yes, crow's foot two prong you're absolutely right. 36V system. Unfortunately I'm not smart enough to know whether it was one of those. I try to fix everything myself rather than pay a bunch of $$ and this time got lucky. Just wish I knew exactly where the problem was but bottom line is after disassembling everything and thoroughly cleaning all the screws, bolts, and wire ends/connections it's working. I know a lot of folks would just bring it in and pay the piper rather than spending a few minutes to clean - although in this case it was a few hours overall. Thanks again for your input!!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car