lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #21
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 Clutch - Plowsman - Comet - Gboost

Keep in mind that the Team clutches use a different belt than all other Yamaha clutches. So just buying any-ole clutch, and tossing it in there might get you sub par results. And about the Come thing, I had a comet on my otherwise stock, but lifted/big tire Yamaha, and loved it's characteristics, but alas it was used when I installed it, and it puked all it's weights out one night while riding.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #22
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Keep in mind that the Team clutches use a different belt than all other Yamaha clutches. So just buying any-ole clutch, and tossing it in there might get you sub par results. And about the Come thing, I had a comet on my otherwise stock, but lifted/big tire Yamaha, and loved it's characteristics, but alas it was used when I installed it, and it puked all it's weights out one night while riding.
How did you adapt the comet to the yamaha crank ? Was it a 780 ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #23
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It was a bolt-on replacement, no mods needed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #24
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I also have a comet , model 108 in the snowmobile powered harley cart. It too works very well after going down a couple of steps from the snowmobile main spring.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #25
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Coley909 our carts are essentially the same, yours 08 G29, mine 11 G29. All arguments and opinions aside here is what I did to my cart. My cart was a refurbished cart, paint, 6" lift kit, and 23" tires. They replaced the TEAM drive clutch with a JW8-G6201-21-00 new style clutch. It had a serviceable but well worn TEAM driven clutch and an OEM JW1 belt. I replaced the driven clutch with a JW8-G6202-22-00 FTB clutch. With the two JW8 clutches installed I had to go to a J55 style belt it is shorter and wider than the JW1 belt, I used a Gates 24G3884 Kevlar Reinforced belt. I replaced the spring in the driven clutch with a G Boost DRYA14 spring as recommended by Glenn Erlandson. I also installed the Plowman's Performance Jets with the high flow filter and the air box mods. I have seen 30mph with the right conditions, windshield down,one person, and on level ground. I went to this setup because I needed a good strong takeoff when pulling out into traffic. We use our cart at Port Aransas where golf carts can be licensed to drive in the city and on the beach. I hope this information gives you some idea of the options you have. You can't go wrong by having a good talk with Don at Plowman's carts. Good Luck.

Robert

G
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #26
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Stock clutches tend to be the smoothest takeoff and work well on stock carts, if you want normal use they tend to be the best for that. That is why I'd say look into rebuilding the stock clutch. Unfortunately if you have a team clutch they have had problems, you may be better off with new, I'd still say if you want normal smooth use a stock type clutch would work better a yamaha if you can, and are likely the most durable (excepting the team units). Be careful about getting the right thing that works on it.

Plowmans is great stuff and I recommend him, but his stuff is not the one and only answer for everyone just like anything else.

My comet is an older design 94c for sleds, it has been used on carts and this is a cart model clutch. It has been difficult to get it tuned the way I want for my modded engine. It is close but doubt it will ever work as well as the stock clutch did (that was not adjustable). I keep working with it and its better. It does well enough for my use, and yes it is working with a stock G9 secondary it may not be designed to work with. It works well other than slow speeds it is not as smooth, it can't react well at low throttle. At mid and higher speeds no problem.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #27
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Let me just add to the previous endorsements for Plowman. I have a '07 G29 with the Team clutch setup. I had to replace my secondary (it had worn completely through the sheave in spots), and I had Don rebuild my primary. He installed a spring in mine to push the clutch completely open at "idle". I have had no problems with jerky starts, it shifts smooth, and if anything, it downshifts a little too easily (easily rectified by a spring change). Obviously the replacement clutches that Yamaha offers now (and they really should be replaced as a set), are better than the Team clutches. But Don can save you a few $$$ by rebuilding the Team clutch and it will work acceptably well.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plowmans comet gboost
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha