lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
poppop 51
Not Yet Wild

Default belt squeal

Hi everyone, Just have two questions. First one is why does my belt on my g9 squeal on start up and stop? Just installed new drive clutch and belt. next one is my compression is 120 is this too low? thanks
poppop 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: belt squeal

Which belt is squealing? It may be the starter/generator and just needs tightening a little. 120 is ok. If it gets below 110, probably needs attention. Put a little oil in the cylinder, do another compression check and see if hits around 150 or higher.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
poppop 51
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply, The squeal is from the drive belt, only on start up and shut down. Also the cart runs good with minimal, hardly noticeable smoke. I have everything to do a re-ring job but I read somewhere it takes about 20hrs. for them to seat. is that correct? I don't want to crop dust the campground waiting for rings to seat.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Not sure how long it takes them to seat. I've never heard of that myself. Maybe they meant break in period but I wouldn't think it would smoke or whatever after doing a ring job.

As far as your drive belt goes, what kind of clutch and belt did you get? Does it seem like it's coming from the new front clutch or rear? Does the new front clutch have a mirror like surface (extremely smooth)? Is the new belt shiny and hard around the rim? It may just need to be ran for a while and worn a little. If not, you might take a piece of emery cloth and lightly scuff up the sheaves on the clutch. Just very lightly and don't damage it. I'd be interested in knowing what kind of clutch and belt you have though and where they came from.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Compression rings need time to seat oil scrapper rings do not... Oil scrapper ring is what keeps motor from smoking
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
poppop 51
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys, got the new clutch and belt from golf cart king, no grease fitting on the new clutch.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppop 51 View Post
...got the new clutch and belt from golf cart king
Forget it at all price! One of my friends ordered them their clutch: Chinese crap; same for their belt!

You should, for the same price, go with CPP, made in USA!
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
poppop 51
Not Yet Wild

well that made my day
Old 04-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #9
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppop 51 View Post
well that made my day
Mine was coming from CPP and he ordered from GCK... His rollers, for instance, were perhaps half the thickness of mine, etc... definitely not the same part.

At the time, I even posted a thread here about it.
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
poppop 51
Not Yet Wild

well I pulled the motor out to do a ring job on it. went to take the new clutch off and guess what, the new clutch puller I bought to remove the old clutch wont work on the new clutch. Different size thread. aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha