lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
BlackoutBuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car '04 FE400 Wont turn over past TDC Compression

Hello all,
Have a 2004 Club Car Gas Presedent. I replaced the FE290 9hp with a FE400 Carry all 14hp No ACR (Compression Reduction). Hills in VT Campground are steep and needed the added power. Had the Starter/Generator rebuilt and replaced the battery with a larger 690 CCA battery. Belts, Coil, and fuel system cleaned with new fuel pump and dual fuel filters. Some starts are fine others seem to reach near TDC of the compression but can not complete the revolution. I attempt "rocking" the crank by tapping on and off the gas to allow it more of a spin to start. works some of the time.

Is there a different starter/generator for each engine(FE290 and FE400)? or a different size pulley on the starter/generator?

Love the newly added power, hate the hard starts! Anyone have this happen or know the fix?

Neil

Last edited by BlackoutBuggy; 09-02-2019 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Year
BlackoutBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car '04 FE400 Wont turn over past TDC Compression

SG is the same for all as far as I know, but apparently the newer SGs used on the fuel injected carts have bigger brushes, and maybe more power? The mounting pattern is still the same or similar enough they would probably work.

There are a couple different sized pulleys that can be on the drive clutch. The older 290s usually had a pulley with a smaller OD than the drive clutch sheave. The 350s tend to have a pulley with a slightly larger OD than the drive clutch. The larger pulley gives a slightly slower cranking speed, but better torque. Check yours to see if it’s larger or smaller OD than the drive clutch, if it’s smaller then the larger sized pulley would help.

I’m sure he’s taking the day off, but the man I think would know for sure the difference in the SG is David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars. Might give him a call or email and see what he thinks.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

David is off today for a well deserved vacation. Couple of questions, what sg is it? AMD or Hitachi and what color is the pulley? My ezgo had this problem with a hitachi sg and silver yellow pulley. Didn’t have enough umph to spin it past tdc sometimes. Replaced it with a smaller black pulley that ezgo offered to fix this issue and helped tremendously. Best scenario is the amd with a black pulley. Pulley number is EL11-109. Kit through ezgo is 612031PKG but I didn’t need the belt. And fairtax4me you want a smaller pulley on the sg for more torque.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
BlackoutBuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm not sure on the SG make since the rebuild and repainted. I do know the pulley is not black for sure. I'm going to research the pulley and order the smaller one. Thanks for the info. guys!
BlackoutBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The pulley I’m taking about is on the clutch.
Didn’t know there are any different sizes available for the SG pulley. I’ve only ever seen one size on those, but I certainly haven’t seen them all.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:41 AM   #6
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

I understand that there is a different s/g for some of the key start carryall/villager/transporter carts that put out more power at idle speed since they carts are key start/ idle. I don’t know if the starting portion of the s/g is stronger or more torque but these carts usually have the biggest motors offered by club car as well...
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I've experienced this with my FE350 after I replaced the belt(s)...
90% of the info will tell you to tighten the S&G belt as tight as you can,
I did that, and when it came to the compression stroke, it stopped there, I pumped the GO pedal and it blew the fuse! (twice)

Loosen the S&G belt just enough so it doesn't slip, or hang up on the compression stroke,
It takes some "trial and error" to find the sweet spot, but you'll also find that it works!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Did some more searching and found out the 109 pulley is 2.93in. The 108 is 2.75 and the 107 is 2.69. Supposably the 107 is for the 84 and newer club cars
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car hard start, fe400 hard start, fe400 no acr
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car