lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo Txt 2000. Doesn't Like Slow Speeds At All

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Excellent info.
Regarding the last 5 wires... is there a kit sold for this set of wires or specific lengths needed?
Haven't yet found any bonified replacement wires.
Thanks a ton.
Just complete sets (10 cables) and battery pack sets (5 cables) are all that are being sold, or at least that I know of.

You might try contacting somebody that is making the complete sets and ask if they will sell only the ones you need.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #12
alpha
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Anybody have a link or supplier to get the last 5 power cables. .. Battery cables are replaced, just need the last 5.
alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #13
alpha
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Didn't see that last reply, thx Johnnie
Old 01-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
alpha
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Is this a stock controller??

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HkvjkKHJt2bz6rLMA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BvYrNgPoYnApVu8x8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iscg6MG7TGrmt8G86
Old 01-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Yes.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #16
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I have seen PDS carts come in for repair with a "Shadetree"aftermarket fan installed. One day if i am lucky enough i will see some Redneck engineer put a radiator on one.
Thermal shutdown is a problem for overloaded PDS carts, Aftermarket Limo, Big Tires, Seat Kits etc. A stock PDS is an excellent cart...however its not a truck
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
I have seen PDS carts come in for repair with a "Shadetree"aftermarket fan installed. One day if i am lucky enough i will see some Redneck engineer put a radiator on one.
Thermal shutdown is a problem for overloaded PDS carts, Aftermarket Limo, Big Tires, Seat Kits etc. A stock PDS is an excellent cart...however its not a truck
If 18.5MPH is fast enough, you don't routinely drive through grass at walking speeds (4MPH) for more than a fifty yards or so and only carry two people, the stock PDS controller and motor are okay, but there are a couple of tweaks that can help.

Upgrade to 2Ga cables (all ten of them), or at least 4Ga throughout. Some of the earlier years had some 6Ga mixed in with 4ga. My cart was only 3 years old when I got it and I got a noticeable increase in acceleration when I installed 2Ga throughout. (OEM F1 & F2 cables are adequate and don't need to be replaced)

The thermal pad EZGO uses to couple the controller to the heatsink drys out, doesn't cover the entire back of the controller and isn't mounted squarely under controller, see attached picture. In other words, the controller is poorly coupled to the heatsink and may be part of the overheating issue. Removing the thermal pad was a pain, I ended up taking heatsink out of cart and using a wire wheel on a bench grinder to get rid of it so I could use thermal grease to couple the DCX controller I was installing to the heatsink.

The stock solenoid's contacts are rated at 85A and the stock PDS controller has a 300A throughput. Going to a 100A or 200A solenoid may help. I when with a MZJ400 (400A/1000A) peak so I could upgrade to a higher voltage battery pack at a later date and still use same solenoid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heatsink-thermal pad.jpg (157.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #18
alpha
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If 18.5MPH is fast enough, you don't routinely drive through grass at walking speeds (4MPH) for more than a fifty yards or so and only carry two people, the stock PDS controller and motor are okay, but there are a couple of tweaks that can help.

Upgrade to 2Ga cables (all ten of them), or at least 4Ga throughout. Some of the earlier years had some 6Ga mixed in with 4ga. My cart was only 3 years old when I got it and I got a noticeable increase in acceleration when I installed 2Ga throughout. (OEM F1 & F2 cables are adequate and don't need to be replaced)

The thermal pad EZGO uses to couple the controller to the heatsink drys out, doesn't cover the entire back of the controller and isn't mounted squarely under controller, see attached picture. In other words, the controller is poorly coupled to the heatsink and may be part of the overheating issue. Removing the thermal pad was a pain, I ended up taking heatsink out of cart and using a wire wheel on a bench grinder to get rid of it so I could use thermal grease to couple the DCX controller I was installing to the heatsink.

The stock solenoid's contacts are rated at 85A and the stock PDS controller has a 300A throughput. Going to a 100A or 200A solenoid may help. I when with a MZJ400 (400A/1000A) peak so I could upgrade to a higher voltage battery pack at a later date and still use same solenoid.
Johnnie b good info to try.
But, to answer you question.. yes. The cart commonly goes through grass at walking speeds...which leads to thermal shutdown....which leads to crying.
So crawling on grass for extended periods with weight on board without shutting down is the end goal.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Johnnie b good info to try.
But, to answer you question.. yes. The cart commonly goes through grass at walking speeds...which leads to thermal shutdown....which leads to crying.
So crawling on grass for extended periods with weight on board without shutting down is the end goal.
Install an Alltrax XCT48500-PDS (it comes with a fan installed and the fan is an option on the lower amp versions) and turn it down to 400A max throughput while you are running the stock PDS motor.

400A is all a stock PDS motor can handle and survive very long. The 22" tall tires reduces motor RPM by a bit more than 18% for any given speed, so going 5MPH on 22" tires is the same as going 4MPH on stock height tires.

If the XCT controller overheats, try reducing max amps further. A stock PDS controller is a 300A unit.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #20
alpha
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Cool
Okay so it looks like this controller right here assuming pricing is accurate
Alltrax XCT-48500 PDS 500 Amp Motor Controller for E-Z-GO PDS Golf Cars (XCT48500-TXT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017A80F4A..._SUivEbTG80PDX

I have heard a heavy duty solenoid is required with it...if that sounds correct or not.
And 2 or 4 awg cables.

Tags
barely moves, slow ezgo, slow txt, too slow, weak throttle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO