lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
LSUgoTIGER
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Delta-Q QuiQ Charger - Fault Code

2013 TXT-48.

Seems to charge just fine, but have noticed that after a full night of charging, the LED indicator lights on the charger never go into the 80% or 100% green maintenance mode.

It will charge up through the highest ammeter bulk charge phase (6), but when I come back to it the next day, it's showing a fault code of just steady red flashes with no pause, which looks to be "charger internal fault".

The only troubleshooting it says for that is to disconnect charger from AC power for 15 seconds, plug it back in and if the fault persists, bring your charger to be serviced/repaired...

The green light on the charger port on the cart will flash while charging, but then eventually turn solid green, but lately since I've noticed this fault code on the charger, the light on the charger port flashes while charging, but is off when charger fault is present.
LSUgoTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: Delta-Q QuiQ Charger - Fault Code

Throw it out and get a good charger, preferably a ferro-resonant charger. These electronic chargers are meant to be throw-away e-waste and are made in you-know-where. Keep getting replacements or rebuilts and they will fail again and cost you more over time than getting a good one once and paying more once.

QuiQ is the bumble-bee black and yellow dressup of the Delta Q PowerWise QE/SC-48/ERIC garbage. high failure rate and not meant to be fixed. I'm sick of them still piling up on our shop floor.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:05 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

QuiQ is actually quite different inside than QE/SC-48 (but they do operate on the same principle). The QE/Sc-48 is made to super cheap specs called for by ezgo to meet a low price point. The Eric is hard to get a look at, the main board is stubborn to get out. I found an eric the other day that seemed to be failing only due to bad solder joints at the AC plug, but unfortunately, they glue the bottom cover on so well, the only way to get it off involves making it look like a used sardine can lid, making the charger essentially un-reparable.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

We got about three dead ERICs (just started to pile up, all stone-dead, as in nothing happens, no LEDs, nothing) as well as a Summit that's basically an ERIC in disguise (rebuild?) also stone-dead.

QuiQ has the same failure rate here as a QE in my experiences. We got a whole box full of dead ones on the shelf and more piling up from old defunct GEM cars. (you know, those kind meter maids use) They power up, and then flash similar error codes as a QE.

Disposable crap really irks me. I want nothing to do with it. I'm still trying to convince our boss to stop selling new RXVs with QE/SC-48 as they're only going to tarnish our reputation and selling new/refurbished replacements are just going to come back in a few months/years with the same problem and I despise contributing more E-waste. I hate EZGO so much today I just want them to go under since they're customer (and mechanic) hostile and care about their stupid bottom line too often. Just go back to ferro-resonant already. Worked fine for decades.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
LSUgoTIGER
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

So what charger should I get?

Now mine is giving a different code. One single red flash. Says it is "high battery voltage detected" felt slow amd sluggish yesterday, plugged it in amd started getting that code immediately and wouldn't charge. Tested pack voltage and was only at 48.6 or something, so like pretty much dead.

Figured it just wasnt sensing enough voltage to engage. Isolated one battery, put a trickle charger on it for a bit, hooked everything back together, plugged charger back in, amd then it seemed to actually charge for an while but eventually went back to same code. Pack voltage is now at 49.1
Old 09-13-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Either DPI, or Lester Summit II.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:44 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

We just got a Summit II in our shop also stone-dead and smoke marks from it emitting the magic smoke, Looks identical to an ERIC to me. I don't like any of these so-called 'smart chargers' myself. The II came from someone's Fairplay cart. It's an aftermarket replacement.

Just put an RXV end on an old 48V Lestronic or get something like a DPI or Eagle Performance charger from Pro Charging Systems. The latter one can also maintain a pack over winter.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #8
LSUgoTIGER
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

borrowed a buddy's Delta Q SC-48, charged it up, that one worked fine and got it up to a solid green "fully charged" state.

I gave him his charger back, drove it around the neighborhood for just a little while.

Looked inside my 3 pin plug on my charger, blew out some very minor cobwebs/grass clippings, etc. Plugged it in, just to see what happened, and then the solid amber 80% charge light finally comes on. It stays like that for an hour or so, then I go back to check, and my solid green fully charged light was on, and has been that way over 24 hours now.

Will continue to test before buying a new charger, but maybe just enough debris stuck inside my plug was causing a bad connection?
Old 09-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

A lot of times when the SCs/QEs fail, the relay is the culprit 80% the time, and it shows when the charge is low enough (if you're 80% SoC plus, it works fine). The relay is what activates the charge circuit (flashing green light) and often when it does red fault flashes the relay goes 'click click!' or doesn't do anything, which is why a popsicle stick jammed in the works fixes them. (it still turns off when done, solid green light, but makes a bit of a spark plugging into the cart since it's got an always-active charge circuit)

The relay has teeny little wires to energize it. It's seriously weak. Ever seen an IF transformer in a transistor radio? that's how flimsy the wires are. It's not intended to last a long time and is failure component #1.

Other ways of failing are dirty electricity (especially in rural country), surges, low AC line voltage, GFCIs tripping (there's zero protection/diodes so if AC is lost during charging, the volts from the battery pack backfeed the unit and blows out resistors, overcharges capacitors, and shorts out FETs) and the usual abuse (dropping them, getting wet at campsites, etc).

Just my experience with attempting repair on a few. I can revive many with the bad relay faults but any attempts at replacing burned out resistors, fuses, charred components are met with sparks, smoke, and even more charred components.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO