lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
sean31
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default EZGO hot motor issue

Helping out a friend with his cart. 2011 RXV hi-speed (35MPH+). In the past he had melted (2) solenoids. I assumed this was due to him driving 2 miles each way (full throttle) to and from the golf course. Wound up installing a 400A super duty solenoid that held up well. No more heat issues with the solenoid. Recently he melted the + post on the #2 battery (starting with most positive as #1) + terminal. Replaced the battery assuming it was due to lack of maintenance (corrosion build up). Since battery had been replaced the cart will not move. Solenoid is not engaging as well as no reverse buzzer. The real issue I am finding as I thought I would start with changing out the brake as they seem to be a pretty common problem especially with hi speed. When taking the brake off it was super hot to the touch from just being on charge as is the motor. I have no idea as to what would cause this from just being on charge. Any ideas as to what we are dealing wit here ?
thanks
Sean
sean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
sean31
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: EZGO hot motor issue

Going to try and login to controller with handheld programmer to see if there are any fault codes
Old 10-07-2020, 09:20 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean31 View Post
Helping out a friend with his cart. 2011 RXV hi-speed (35MPH+). In the past he had melted (2) solenoids. I assumed this was due to him driving 2 miles each way (full throttle) to and from the golf course. Wound up installing a 400A super duty solenoid that held up well. No more heat issues with the solenoid. Recently he melted the + post on the #2 battery (starting with most positive as #1) + terminal. Replaced the battery assuming it was due to lack of maintenance (corrosion build up). Since battery had been replaced the cart will not move. Solenoid is not engaging as well as no reverse buzzer. The real issue I am finding as I thought I would start with changing out the brake as they seem to be a pretty common problem especially with hi speed. When taking the brake off it was super hot to the touch from just being on charge as is the motor. I have no idea as to what would cause this from just being on charge. Any ideas as to what we are dealing wit here ?
thanks
Sean
Unless he has a 350 Amp Curtis controller on that 35 MPH cart, the controller is seriously overloaded trying to drive either speed gears or oversized tires. There is no other way to reach 35 MPH on an RXV. The symptoms describe what happens when a controller is severely overloaded repeatedly... FETs in the AC controller output will short, applying DC to the 3 legs of an AC motor. That will heat up the motor, and if not stopped, will result in a cooked motor. This is why we insist on telling all RXV owners that a 350 Amp controller upgrade is an absolute must when using oversized tires or speed gears.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
sean31
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Unless he has a 350 Amp Curtis controller on that 35 MPH cart, the controller is seriously overloaded trying to drive either speed gears or oversized tires. There is no other way to reach 35 MPH on an RXV. The symptoms describe what happens when a controller is severely overloaded repeatedly... FETs in the AC controller output will short, applying DC to the 3 legs of an AC motor. That will heat up the motor, and if not stopped, will result in a cooked motor. This is why we insist on telling all RXV owners that a 350 Amp controller upgrade is an absolute must when using oversized tires or speed gears.
Cart is running 14" wheels and tires as well. Would it show fault codes using the handheld ? or is it just damaged beyond seeing any of that? the motor get so hot on charge you can touch it but not for too long. I havent tried an IR scanner on it but would guess at least 200* F
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO