lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
JB in PA
Not Yet Wild

Default Reverse on both sides of reversing contacting toggle?

Newbie with a from scratch install hoping for some troubleshooting tips :)

Technically it’s an 84 marathon but the only thing left is the perpendicular stock motor. Carts Unlimited C42 Alltrax conversion kit with 200 amp hd solenoid and SW182 reversing contractor.

On first fire up with rear wheels jacked I only get reverse, with FR toggle in either position, they both give reverse. Hoping that sounds like a newbie wiring mistake to someone and is easy to diagnos.

I have no history with the motor so that is an unknown (and worries me long term but we all know how hard swapping these perpendicular motors is)but I did test with just battery power before wiring everything up and it did do forward and reverse.

Any ideas for a newbie?

I have an email into Scotty but if nothing else figured being on here might help someone in the future searching for similar, I know I’ve been wearing out the search button on here.
JB in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reverse on both sides of reversing contacting toggle?

First, make sure the solenoids in the reversing contactor are working the way they ought to. In F one of the solenoids should energize and in R the other one should energize.

Next, connect your DVM between the motor's S1 and S2 studs. The voltage will be the same in both F or R, but the polarity of the voltage ought to swap when you change from F to R.

-------------
If possible, use the paperclip to attach a picture of the schematic that came with the kit. The polarity of the armature was swapped to change the direction the motor rotated in a resistor drive and I'm only guessing the stator polarity is swapped in the conversion kit. That is a lot of wiring changes, so it would be easy to miss-wire it.

The only thing that comes to mind that will cause the motor to turn in the same direction is if the polarity of both the stator and the armature are being swapped, or neither is. Swapping one or the other changes motor direction, swapping both doesn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paperclip circled.jpg (53.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
JB in PA
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Johnnie

Here’s a picture of my wiring diagram.

Both top large gauge terminals on the top of the FR contactor show pack voltage all the time. No matter where the toggle switch is, F-N-R all show pack voltage whether the pedal is pressed or not. I’m guessing that’s not right?

I show no voltage across S1 to S2 until the pedal is pressed ,then polarity doesn’t swap changing from F to R, both show the same polarity. Only swapping DVM leads changes polarity.

Any of that make any sense?

32A912E5-8F4E-44E1-86A6-FF557049D66A.jpg
Old 05-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Are the F and R solenoids energizing when they are supposed to?

Want to make sure they are working right first, then make sure the cables are landed correctly.

---------------

Here is a picture of a reversing contactor with the thick cables labeled. The controller is a SPM rather than a SR, but the terminals are labeled the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg controller_zps4ffe52f4.jpg (107.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
JB in PA
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Are the F and R solenoids energizing when they are supposed to?
Sorry for being a newbie, but not 100% when they supposed to be energized? I assume by energized solenoids you mean with pack voltage to the S1 and S2 on your picture?

If so, I can’t find a time when they’re both NOT energized. Both S1 and S2 have voltage all the time (even with the key off).

Am I right in assuming only 1 should be energized at a time, which one depends on where the FR switch is?

If it helps any here’s my a picture of my setup with similar markings to what you attached

Wish I could answer you better, I appreciate the help, I just don’t have a reference point of what working properly is, sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4F94BEA6-6838-448C-BF85-A01DF073C48B.jpg (183.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

To determine if the solenoids are energizing, connect your DVM between the two small terminals with the thinner wires on them. With the F-N-R switch in N, there should be no voltage. With it in F, there should be voltage on one set of small terminals, but not the other. When F-N-R is in R, there should be voltage on the other set of small terminals, but not the set that had voltage when in F.

---------------
It is hard to tell for sure in the picture you posted, but it looks like the S1 cable might be connected to the S1 terminal on the contactor and the A2 terminal on the motor and the A2 cable from the contactor connected to S1 on the motor.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:25 AM   #7
JB in PA
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Johnnie.

OK reversing contactor small side terminals. No voltage on either one in N. Flip toggle to F, still no voltage on either. Press pedal and both + small terminals show pack voltage. Same when I switch to R, both terminals show pack voltage.
It doesn't appear to ever show voltage on just one of the small + terminals, they both energize at the same time (either F or R with pedal pressed).
Hopefully that makes sense and narrows something down?

Regarding the S1 A2 cables, I just pulled on and traced them again, they're connected the way they're labeled in the picture. The three of them do twist together going through that hole and is hard to tell even in person which is which but I can wiggle and pull them enough to verify they're connected like the picture. Too bad actually, would be nice to be that easy of a fix
Old 05-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Don't know why both solenoids in the reversing contactor energized at the same time, but that is the reason it only goes in one direction.

Start at the F/R selector switch. The "X" wire from the main solenoid coil terminal with the blue wire from the pedal switch, ought to be connected to the F/R switch's C (Common) terminal and only one of the wires labeled "Y" or "Z" on the installation instructions you posted, ought to have voltage on it when F or R is selected.

Might be a bad switch, might be miswired or maybe the wires are touching someplace. Whatever it is, find it and fix it and the cart ought to start running in both directions.

--------------
Like I said, it was hard to tell for sure. I download the picture and blew it up to 400% and it looked like S1 and A2 might have been swapped to these old eyes, but the only way to know for sure was physically tracing them.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #9
JB in PA
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Johnnie, this is very helpful. It's tough to troubleshoot being the first cart I've wired up but knowing what the target is will help narrow this down. I'll investigate a bit tonight to narrow down if it's the switch or not, should be able to at least rule that out. Hoping to hear back from Scotty soon also.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Pull the wires off the rocker switch and hold the middle wire to each side wire in 2 separate tests. The pedal should get just one side of the contactor activating at a time OR you have erroneously wire the 2 sides together ??? Only the small (-) terminals should be connected, not the + .
Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO