lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: New (to me) 98 Club Car DS gas

I would take off all the tins and clean the cooling fins out on the cylinder and head really well. Especially if it’s been leaking oil they’re probably full of smudge and pudge which isn’t very good for cooling the engine.

The one around the fan shroud is generally pretty full of crap too caked in the bottom especially. If you want to make it nice while it’s out you can use aluminum brightener (pontoon cleaner) to clean the aluminum motor and put a fresh coat of paint on the cooling tins.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2021, 07:12 PM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Last I checked Porcellato wont ship to the US, so if you're in the states he's a no-go. If he has changed that in the last few months then that's great because he does really great work.

I got my clutch puller several years ago from Cart Parts Plus if I remember right. It was around $30, and is a once piece design. I've pulled clutches at least 20 times with it and I hammer it in with my impact wrench. If my Dewalt 1/4" driver wont get it loose, the Ingersol 231 does. I've never had to try the Aircat on it, but I'm pretty sure it would survive just fine.

Be sure to get an original Club Car gasket for the cover. The cheapo grey or black paper gaskets disintegrate after a year or so. Make sure you replace the crankshaft seal as well.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #13
jangelj
Not Yet Wild

You guys are great! Thanks.

I just ordered a crankshaft seal (though I don't know how to replace it, but will google it). I had already ordered the gasket (not sure if it's OEM, it's from Performance parts), an exhaust gasket, and a clutch puller (that hopefully is the correct one). I will also google how to clean the cooling fins and do that while I have the engine out and open.

It will be a week or so, but i will post back with results (or additional questions).
jangelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #14
jangelj
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE!

I finally have the correct clutch puller. Removed the clutch and crankcase cover. Def a bad gasket exactly as expected (see pic).

Question, is the crankshaft seal on the outside of the crankcase cover? Pretty sure it is. Do I just pry it out and push in the new one? Do I need to grease it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4633.jpg (108.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yes, you can replace the crank seal by just removing the clutch. Just stick a flat screwdriver in there between the seal and the crankshaft, taking care not to gouge the crankshaft and pry the seal out.

While grease isn’t “necessary” for the seal’s sake, i always put some grease on the base of the crankshaft where the seal goes, and grease both inside and outside edges of the seal. This helps it to slide into the case a bit easier, and the grease also helps to keep from rolling the lip of the seal on a dry crankshaft when you install it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #16
jangelj
Not Yet Wild

Ok. All is well. I did not replace the crankshaft seal. I was impatient and since I wasnt sure how to remove it (by prying), i didn't bother. The old one wasn't too bad, someone mustve replaced it awhile ago. I'm not sure if I used an OEM gasket as suggested, because I had already bought it.
So I may be doing this whole thing again, but for now, the engine is back in the cart and running like a champ! thanks to everyone who offered advice. If/when I do this again it will take half the time :) Also, the video referenced above was immensely helpful.

Engine is back in. I put oil in it, ran it for about 5 minutes, then changed oil and filter...just to be sure any gasket material or other junk that I may have inadvertently introduced into the engine while it was open is removed.
And the best part? No oil leaks (for now).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car